Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tru-andrew
Regular Visitor

Migrate gateway to new server

Hi,

I have read up on this topic at length but am drawing a blank as to how it should actually work.

I have an existing MSSQL 2012 instance on a VM in Azure which (via On-Prem gateway) provides data to PowerBI online where my data team have many reports.

I would like to migrate the gateway to a new VM running MSSQL 2017. I have loaded the same SSAS cube data on the new server as the old one. Both VMs are joined to Azure AD via Domain Services.

I need to make sure that all of the reports/datasets/workspaces in PowerBI Online stay working.

The way I see it I have 2 options:

- Start a Gateway config on the new server and choose "Migrate..."

- Start a new Gateway on the new server and cluster it to the existing, then remove the old server

When I tried the former all of the reports in PowerBI Online stopped working. When I try clustering, I get the error "AdomdException encountered while connecting to the target data source", referring to the new server. Also I don't know how to stop the old server being set as "isAnchorGateway".

What is the best way for me to proceed?

Thanks

Andrew

1 REPLY 1
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tru-andrew

As I know, migrating a gateway to new server can be achieved by installing a new gateway on the new VM and using the recovery key.

Do you follow the article to implement your first option?

Additionally, you can also install a new gateway in that server, then add original data sources to this gateway.

Best Regards

Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors