Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

equerystrian
Advocate I
Advocate I

Microsoft Teams created Power BI workspaces still v1 - how to fix?

I am working with an organization that wishes to roll out Power BI to more users and leverage Microsoft Teams, as Teams has become - like a lot of orgs - more prominent to more users in past few months. Microsoft has also been emphasizing integrating Power BI & Teams a ton, and since we can't disable the fact that Teams creates a new Power BI workspace with every new Team created, why not make use of them? Unfortunately, it seems like these auto-created workspaces are still v1, even though they were created within the past few months and v1 workspaces have been on the way out for awhile now. 

I'm assuming that these workspaces created by Teams are v1 because if you check the settings on a Power BI Desktop report published to them, you see the message "Featured content is not supported for artifacts in V1 workspaces. Please upgrade the workspace to promote this artifact."

If they're auto-gen'd as v1, I thought I'd try to upgrade them via these instructions https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-upgrade-your-classic-workspaces-to-the-new-works...

However, neither I as a Team Owner nor an infrastructure admin with a Power BI admin license can see the crucial "Edit Workspace" option that the upgrade instructions depend upon. 

Are these Teams-generated workspaces something on the way out? Should we not use them at all? Or if we do have to upgrade them manually as we want to use them, what role(s) can manage and upgrade them? 

Thanks in advance for the help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

To add to @GilbertQ:

I've also been upgrading old workspaces (created by Teams) recently, and I found you have to be an owner (and a member!) of the O365 group to be considered admin of the workspace, and thus to upgrade the workspace to V2.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
equerystrian
Advocate I
Advocate I

Updating this post as the landscape will be shifting this fall. I've learned from this announcement that the auto-create of a classic workspace for every new Team is actually tied to the 365 group that's created for that team. Come October 2020 this will no longer be automatic. With the help of the posters above I have been able to test out the upgrade tool that's in preview and we're going to plan to upgrade the workspaces going forward so we don't get stuck in something Classic-specific. 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/roadmap-update-whats-next-for-the-new-workspace-experience-...

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

It is still a bit of a challenge that it auto creates the workgroups V1.

What I do is to manually upgrade the App Workspaces and then use them with the new features.

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

To add to @GilbertQ:

I've also been upgrading old workspaces (created by Teams) recently, and I found you have to be an owner (and a member!) of the O365 group to be considered admin of the workspace, and thus to upgrade the workspace to V2.

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors