Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

eldonno

Microsoft.PowerBI.OleDb is not registered

Hi folks,

when i try to open a Excel File i get following Error Message:

error message

06-11-2015 17-49-41.jpg 

please advise.

thanks

20 REPLIES 20
emendoza

There is not solution yet?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I found this issue in my environment. I turned out to be from a user dragging the Power BI Desktop icon onto the Windows Desktop as a Shortcut. I am guessing for whatever reason in doing so the app runs under different permission since Windows Store Apps have different permissions inside the directories it wasn't creating the cache folders inside the temp directory causing these errors. 

Long story short, delete the desktop shortcut that was created and run it from the start menu. Otherwise, create the shortcut from the start menu intsead.

Thank you @Anonymous 

emendoza

There is not solution yet? Still having this issue 😞 

lbell
Frequent Visitor

is there any solution for this yet?

fsim
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

same issue here with the november version... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I too am seeing this error when trying to create a reference calculation. Any eta on a solution?

VKoch93

Has anyone found a solution for this error message?

Un- and reinstalling does not help 😞

Spicer
Advocate I
Advocate I

Same issue with a CSV File

I get the same, but with an uploaded PowerBI Desktop file that only contains OData feeds and 3 "parameter values" created via Query

Processing error: The provider 'Microsoft.PowerBI.OleDb' is not registered. The following system error occurred: Class not registered A connection could not be made to the data source with the Name of 'TimesheetLines 57d6206f-61bc-4a06-af4b-5822f6586e23'.
Cluster URIWABI-NORTH-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID40f09ffe-01f9-4e5e-b2a3-c77f332a1fab
Request IDb7b55857-091c-47cf-0445-154e9a5dcf41
Time2015-12-17 12:46:11Z

Hi, I solved it by unistallation and re-install

It worked here too!

It's the Microsoft way of life!

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Worked for me.  Uninstalled 2.64.5285.741 / Installed 2.76.5678.782 

I have the same version but for me isn't working.

My problem is with XML files.

Any solution for that?

Thanks, Spicer.  This is ONLY thing that worked for me so far. I was getting the same issues...followed a bunch of "solution" steps in other posts, but nothing worked.  Then I uninstalled and reinstalled (both PowerBI and PowerBIGateway) like you suggested, and now it loads my new tables. 

Anyone else having this problem? I upgraded my PowerBI Desktop to the May release and now I get the error when connecting to any table in my SQL Server database. Tried uninstalling the Desktop and reinstalling without success, nor does reverting to a previous version of the desktop release (March 2017). Any suggestions gratefully received.Connection Error in May Release PowerBI Desktop.PNG

I have started getting similar error now( July 2017).  Please let me know if you already have the solution to this 

I am seeing the same issue (w/July Build) although I am seeing it when trying to apply query changes.

I have the same problem.. Do you have a solution yet ?

Thx

I am also getting same error with july build

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors