cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CliffordAP
Frequent Visitor

Microsoft Mashup Evaluation Container - over 100 instances running on my virtual machine

Hello all,

I have an instance of SQL Server on a virtual machine that is used as a source of data for our organization's PowerBI online service (pro license).

We use the PowerBI enterprise gateway hosted on the virtual machine to automatically refresh our PowerBI dataset.

After some time, maybe a month or so, I will have terrible issues running SQL Queries. When I log into the virtual machine where SQL Server is hosted, I see that all of it's memory is being taken up by several dozen 'Microsoft Mashup Evaluation Container' processes.
I am not sure what these are about, but I have to restart the server to end these processes and move on.

Can someone explain to me what these processes do and why they are multiplying on the virtual machine? I suspect it has something to do with the Enterprise Gateway and the automatic refresh?

CliffordAP_0-1627564526904.png

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
CliffordAP
Frequent Visitor

@lbendlin,
I am the PowerBI developer. We are refreshing 2 datasets everyday, one is on an enterprise GW and the other is on a personal gateway. The refreshes usually always happen successfully, so I am not sure why these processes linger after the refresh.
I have resorted to running a Powershell script to terminate these processes as they accumulate;
stop-process -Name "Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX45".
I would prefer to understand how to stop these containers from lingering on the server after the refreshes are successful. Any advice would be appreciated!
Thank you

If you have a Pro license then I would suggest you raise a Pro ticket at support.powerbi.com so that Microsoft can have a look.  

This is actually one of the reasons why it is not recommended to run the gateway on a shared resource. Gateways don't like to share.

lbendlin
Super User III
Super User III

These can either be import queries or Direct Query queries.  Ask the Power BI developers about their dataset refresh experience (long refresh durations, refresh failing with timeout etc).  Most likely these are abandoned refresh sessions that SQL Server is too afraid to kill.  Work with the developers to improve their refresh performance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Microsoft named a Leader in The Forrester Wave

Microsoft received the highest score of any vendor in both the strategy and current offering categories.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Power BI Dev Camp - September 30th, 2021

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.