Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AU555
Helper I
Helper I

Microsoft 365 Business Standard and Power BI

Hi all,

I am strugelling with understanding PBI pricing and what licenses are neccesary. 

We are a small company with around 15 employees. I am the only employee who would be using Power BI desktop to create dashboards. Rest of employees should have access to only view these dashboards. We currently have Microsoft 365 Business Standard. Our resources are limited and we cannot afford to purchase Microsoft premium. 

Therefore, if we purchase Power BI PRO only for me (as a person in charge of the dashboards) and I would publish these reports to our existing workspaces, would the other employees be able to view these reports with our existing license Microsoft 365 Business Standard? Or what are our options with not much availible resources? 

Thank you for your help!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @AU555 

I don't know if this licence includes Power BI Pro (Missing Power BI Icon would suggest it does not), Office 365 E5 licence includes Power BI but its around £35 per month.

You can purchase Power BI Pro licences on the Power BI website for £7.50 per user, but before you buy anything use the free trial.

https://signup.microsoft.com/create-account/signup?products=CFQ7TTC0L3PB:0016&fSkuId=powerbi&fOfferI...

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AU555 ,

In the picture above, the left one is a Standard of Power BI Subscription, which members uses shared capacity. If content is stored in shared capacity, users who are assigned a Power BI Pro license can collaborate only with other Power BI Pro users. They can consume content shared by other users, publish content to app workspaces, share dashboards, and subscribe to dashboards and reports. 

And the right one is a Premium of Power BI Subscription, which allocates dedicated capacity to an organization. Suitable for enterprise BI, big data analytics, and cloud and on-premises reporting, Premium provides advanced administration and deployment controls.  In addition to other Premium advantages, content stored in Premium capacity can be accessed by and distributed to users who don't have Power BI Pro licenses. At least one user has to have a Power BI Pro license assigned to use Premium, and content creators and developers still need a Power BI Pro license.

Based on my summary, if the rest of users only need to view the reports, recommend you purchase Pro license for per user, see: Purchase and assign Power BI Pro user licenses.  And as Mariusz's suggestion, you may let other users start a free 60 day individual trial of Power BI Pro if it's necessary below 60 days, see : Sign up for the Power BI service as an individual.

For reference:

Licensing the Power BI service for users in your organization

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AU555 ,

In the picture above, the left one is a Standard of Power BI Subscription, which members uses shared capacity. If content is stored in shared capacity, users who are assigned a Power BI Pro license can collaborate only with other Power BI Pro users. They can consume content shared by other users, publish content to app workspaces, share dashboards, and subscribe to dashboards and reports. 

And the right one is a Premium of Power BI Subscription, which allocates dedicated capacity to an organization. Suitable for enterprise BI, big data analytics, and cloud and on-premises reporting, Premium provides advanced administration and deployment controls.  In addition to other Premium advantages, content stored in Premium capacity can be accessed by and distributed to users who don't have Power BI Pro licenses. At least one user has to have a Power BI Pro license assigned to use Premium, and content creators and developers still need a Power BI Pro license.

Based on my summary, if the rest of users only need to view the reports, recommend you purchase Pro license for per user, see: Purchase and assign Power BI Pro user licenses.  And as Mariusz's suggestion, you may let other users start a free 60 day individual trial of Power BI Pro if it's necessary below 60 days, see : Sign up for the Power BI service as an individual.

For reference:

Licensing the Power BI service for users in your organization

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @AU555 

For the end-users to consume/view the reports Pro licence is necessary or else your workspace is backed by Premium.

Best Regards,
Mariusz

LinkedIn

@Mariusz 

So if we would like all the employees to view the reports, we would have to upgrade from Business standard (left) to business premium (right)? or is it some other premium only specific to Power BI that would be neccesary? 

AU555_1-1593688031318.png

(or purchase PRO license for all the employees) 

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @AU555 

I don't know if this licence includes Power BI Pro (Missing Power BI Icon would suggest it does not), Office 365 E5 licence includes Power BI but its around £35 per month.

You can purchase Power BI Pro licences on the Power BI website for £7.50 per user, but before you buy anything use the free trial.

https://signup.microsoft.com/create-account/signup?products=CFQ7TTC0L3PB:0016&fSkuId=powerbi&fOfferI...

Best Regards,
Mariusz

LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors