Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Merging queries from two linked entities in a dataflow leads to refresh error

Hi team,

Just wondering if it's not possible or I am doing something wrong.

So, I've created a beautiful dataflow, and an entity, "Opps", using Salesforce Objects. I set the incremental refresh to 'Last Modified Date'. Everything works.

Then I got greedy 🙂 In the same dataflow, I've brough in a linked entity, "Users", which also uses Salesforce Objects and has its own incremental refresh (providing you lots of details just in case one of them is relevant).

I've then used, in the dataflow, "merge queries', and I brought some columns of "Users" in "Opps". It was the classic Merge/Expand.

I saved the dataflow and there were no errors.

However, when I clicked on the dataflow refresh, I got an error 😞 Tried again with no success.

Is it really not possible to merge two entities in a dataflow?

Thank you in advance,

Alice

2 REPLIES 2
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AliceW ,

As I know, using linked entities and merging entities, the dataflow need to be in Premium capacity. If you just have pro license, you could disable load the linked entity to implement refresh. 

1.gif

If this can't help you, please share the refresh error message.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xue,

The dataflows are in a premium capacity (the diamond icon is there next to the name).

I've clicked on 'disable load' for the linked entities in the dataflow and.. they disappeared from the entities list.

All dataflows, if they are linked to this one, stopped refreshing.

This is the error message.

Run time,Dataflow name,Dataflow refresh status,Entity name,Start time,End time,Entity refresh status,Error,
02/06/2020 08:59:51,Opp,Failed,Opportunity,02/06/2020 08:59:51,02/06/2020 09:01:41,Failed,Error: We cannot apply operator - to types DateTime and Date... RootActivityId = cd7fb2dd-ca82-42e9-9ace-d13340775b94.Param1 = We cannot apply operator - to types DateTime and Date. Request ID: 6db10daf-15c5-0576-e89a-0511a8b217e2.

UPDATE: turns out that it was one of the calculated columns in the dataflow that prevented the refresh. Which is crazy, as the 'Save and Load' button for the dataflow PowerQuery worked w/o any issues!

Question: are we sure that, if I click 'disable load', the latest data from the linked dataflows will be brought over?

Thanks,

Alice

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors