Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jim_
Helper I
Helper I

Memory error: Memory Allocation failure.

Hi All,

Let me preface this by pointing out that I am still in the learning phase of Power BI and associated skill sets, so please excuse the ignorance.

I am having an issue with a refresh failing on the Service. I have seen a few posts concerning this topic but I am not sure that I have seen any real resolution. The error I am receiving is:

“Memory error: Memory Allocation failure . Try simplifying or reducing the number of queries.”

I am pulling my data from 8 spreadsheets (the largest of which is 1031 KB). In the query editor on the Desktop, I have added approximately 40 calculated columns and duplicated 4 of the tables to model differently.  Before you ask, I cannot make any modifications to the Excel files. 

Would I be better off adding the columns after the data is loaded using the new measure/column feature? I have no idea of what the impact to loading memory looks like given either approach.  Any suggestions, links to resources is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jim_
Helper I
Helper I

I went into the query editor and removed as many columns as possible and the refresh started working again.  Also, I received this nugget of wisdom from Support:

From a memory consumption perspective it is better to add columns in the report developer using the add new measure/column function for optimized performance.

I hope that this can help someone else.

Thanks!!!

Jim

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
ramdasanudas
Regular Visitor

get more space in C: drive
or
Try to clean the data load cache: File -> Options and Settings -> Options -> Data Load -> Clear cache and Save the file and Load again

jairoaol
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I applied correction in both cases and it worked for me:

1. Remove excess columns
  2. Do not summarize numeric fields
Anonymous
Not applicable

My problem was that the key columns that I was trying to Join the tables on, were auto- characterized by power bi as numerical, with default summarization. When I converted the keys to text, and selected the "do not summarise", I had no problem 🙂

@Anonymous legend! This is exactly my fix too

Abhiraj_Pal
Frequent Visitor

Hello there! I am facing problem while connecting data of 12 months to power bi desktop... A memory allocation error is showing just after importing data of 4 months... Cant understand the reason for this difficulty and need some urgent help...

Abhiraj....

Memory error: Memory Allocation failure: Not enough stprage is available to process this command. I am using 32-bit memory, and keep geeting error and try in other laptope with same configuartiin it works. Is there any seeting needs to be update in regards to solve this problem. It is really appreciated if there is any solutions.

Jim_
Helper I
Helper I

I went into the query editor and removed as many columns as possible and the refresh started working again.  Also, I received this nugget of wisdom from Support:

From a memory consumption perspective it is better to add columns in the report developer using the add new measure/column function for optimized performance.

I hope that this can help someone else.

Thanks!!!

Jim

Can you elaborate on what this means?

I believe that this means that there is more of a memory drag when you create columns during the import vs. when you have all of your tables loaded.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors