Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Memory Allocation failure . Try simplifying or reducing the number of Queries

Hi,

I've had a file in the service for quite a while now (over a year) and just recently I started getting the following error.  I've made any big recent changes especially to the number of queries.

Thanks,

Something went wrong
There was an error when processing the data in the dataset.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Data source error: Memory error: Memory Allocation failure . Try simplifying or reducing the number of queries.
Cluster URI: WABI-WEST-US-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 937a2912-c631-47ab-ab50-23ddb015c2c7
Request ID: cec4336a-bbe7-4d54-b7a8-39cf1cb30ddc
Time: 2020-05-20 14:03:40Z

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there

I am certain that the above could be created in Power Query

I would suggest starting to learn Power Query, it will help solve a lot of data challenges you might face.

And there is a lot of free and paid resources on the web for Power Query training and learning.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-gizhi-msft
Community Support
Community Support
Anonymous
Not applicable

My problem is with the Power BI service, not the desktop version, so I don't think the second one applies. 

I've reviewed my queries, and I don't really have anything that complex.  Not to mention they've been working for a while.  The only new thing, is I do use summarizecolumns to create a inventory snapshot table.

I guess I could try removing that...  But I kind of need it.

Hi there

It could well be that when you are creating this table (if the underlying data is large) it could cause it to consume a lot of memory.

This is because when you create a calculated table inside the Power BI dataset this is uncompressed and can consume a lot of memory.

The reason it could work on your desktop is because you are only limited by the amount of memory on your desktop which could be 8 or 16 or 32GB of RAM (Memory), whilst in the Power BI Service it is limited.

If you remove the table and it refreshes try and re-create the table in Power Query, this will allow the table to be compressed before it goes into the Power BI dataset.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I have confirmed that it is a new created table causing the problem.  But I confess I'm not that good with Power Query.  The DAX I am using to create the table is

Inv Summary Col = SUMMARIZECOLUMNS('Item Value New'[Item Ledger Entry Quantity], 'Item Value New'[Posting Date],
"Bal Qty", CALCULATE(SUM('Item Value New'[Item Ledger Entry Quantity]), FILTER(ALL('Item Value New'[Posting Date]), 'Item Value New'[Posting Date]<=MAX('Item Value New'[Posting Date] ) ) ),
"Bal Cost", CALCULATE(SUM('Item Value New'[Cost Amount (Actual)]) , FILTER(ALL('Item Value New'[Posting Date]) , 'Item Value New'[Posting Date] <= MAX('Item Value New'[Posting Date] ) ) )
) 

Can I do that in power query?

Hi there

I am certain that the above could be created in Power Query

I would suggest starting to learn Power Query, it will help solve a lot of data challenges you might face.

And there is a lot of free and paid resources on the web for Power Query training and learning.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I will put learning power query after I'm done reading "The Definitive guide to Dax".

Thanks,

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Could you have a look at the file size?

It would appear that it might be over the 1GB file size?

Or when it is refreshing the data because of too many queries it is running out memory?

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors