Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sparks
Helper I
Helper I

Members without pro license unable to the access the reports in a Workspace

Hi,

We have workspaces on a dedicated premium capacity (Power BI Embedded A4 SKU) and add couple of users in the workspace Access list with Members and Viewers role. These users don't have Power BI Pro license. 

When these users login to the Power BI Service, they see the workspaces, but when they select the workspace or the reports in the workspace (under Shared with me tab in home workspace), they are prompted to upgrade to Power BI Pro 😞 and if they click on "Not now", they can't open the reports. 

Upgrade to Power BI Pro
To use Power BI Pro features, upgrade to a Pro license, or try Pro free for 60 days. Your org doesn't let individuals buy licenses, so you'll need to contact your IT admin to request a paid license....

What am I missing? As per the documentation in the you can view and interact with the reports even if you don't have Pro license.

Please help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. The thing is that Embed is not the same as Premium. They both are dedicated capacity but only Premium will let free users view the workspace. The purpose of Embed capacity is only about embeding reports in a custom app in which you can handle a custom login to let free users view the data.

It's something like this:

EmbedvsPremiumEmbedvsPremium

Hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. The thing is that Embed is not the same as Premium. They both are dedicated capacity but only Premium will let free users view the workspace. The purpose of Embed capacity is only about embeding reports in a custom app in which you can handle a custom login to let free users view the data.

It's something like this:

EmbedvsPremiumEmbedvsPremium

Hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

@ibarrau , thanks for letting us know. My bad, I just saw the Note mentioning the same here

Does this also apply to Service Principals logins in the multi-tenant custom app (App Owns Data) to view reports in a workspace these SPNs have access to?

Can we change from A SKU to P SKUs?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors