Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Sudhavi_84
Helper V
Helper V

Measures filter

Hi Experts,

I have a visual and filter(list of project's).

I can select the projects and visual will update which is perfect.

I have measure which calculates values of each project. 

My question is, I am trying to populate list of project's in drop-down which has project value between 0 and 10000 only.

I don't want to include all projects in drop-down filter. However, I cannot drag measures in to drop-down and filter with specific range.

How can I do it to populate only list of project's in drop-down which has value between 0 and 10000?

Any advice please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

yeah, you can create a user-selected parameter via the Modeling tab, New Parameter. Then use SELECTEDVALUE() in a measure to see what the user has selected, and in turn, use that measure as a filter measure. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Sudhavi_84 

What I would suggest doing is to use the measure as a filter in your visual and that should allow you to get to what you are looking for?

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ ,

Thank you for the response.

But will it show in filter those projects only with in range specified in visuals?

This didn't worked for me any screenshot please if possible.

Thank you for your help

See this image. You can put measures in filters for visuals only, not pages, nor entire report. By setting the visual filter for the total measure to just between 3 and 7, only products C, D, E, F, & G show up. A, B, and H are not in the slicer, because their sales are 1, 2, and 9 respectively, outside the 3-7 range.

edhans_0-1626920333493.png

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Thank you very much for your help on this @edhans  and @GilbertQ .

I have 5 visuals and 4 filters in same page.

With your step, it is working for one filter, but how can I activate for other 4 filters and 5 visuals? should I apply the same filter in all visuals for this?

And also visuals are not updating when I apply on filter. But filter is showing range of projects which I need.

Thank you

Filtering the slicer will not cause it to filter the visuals. You have two options:

1. Apply the same measure filter to your other visuals
  2. Modify the slicer to force single selection so "nothing" cannot be selected. That will enforce the filter.

You will need to apply this method to every visual you want to be affected. You cannot do measure visuals on a page, only a per-visual basis.

A final alternative is to filter the data at the source through a filter in Power Query, or create a Calculated Table in Power BI using FILTER() or CALCULATETABLE() that only has this data and create your visuals on that table.

Thanks @edhans 

Got you. Is there anything alternatively as well create parameters and user can select the range with that it will update all 5 Visuals?

If not, I will choose one of the same above steps as you specified

yeah, you can create a user-selected parameter via the Modeling tab, New Parameter. Then use SELECTEDVALUE() in a measure to see what the user has selected, and in turn, use that measure as a filter measure. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors