Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OC_BI
Frequent Visitor

Measures displaying a different value on the published App than the Desktop

Hello,

We are facing a very frustrating problem:

We have a report that displays certain values for deals relating to the company.  All the numbers are taken from the source system (Salesforce) and are displayed correctly in PBI Desktop.

The report is then published and the app updated.  When we open the report the numbers for the deal are different.

We did the following:

1) Compared a detailed report and saw that not all the rows shown in the PBI Desktop appear in the same report in the app.

2) Republished the report and updated the app more than several times.

3) Removed the old app and dataset and republished the report.

4) Restarted the data gateway.

None of the above helped.

We also noticed the following behaviour - after the report is published the numbers shown are correct.  After an ETL run the numbers become different even though the correct numbers appear in the PBI Desktop.  We then noticed that after refreshing the dataset the numbers also change even though the ETL has not run.

Has anyone run into this behaviour before?  I have found several similar threads but w/o a solution.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

OC BI

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

When assisting other people in the past it has always come down to either persistent filters or some other type of filtering on the reports being displayed.

If the data is right in Power BI Desktop and when it uploads you validate it, it will be the same. The Power BI Service does not make any changes.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi GilbertQ and thank you for replying.

Turns out the problem is something hidden in PBI.  It acts differently when the query returns a big result set and does two queries.  If the query doesn't have an 'order by' command the rows will return in a different order and in the join some rows are dropped or duplicated.

This link gives both a discription of the problem and the solution:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Each-data-refresh-gives-different-data-results/td-p/60989

Thanks for letting us know.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors