Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JW_PBI_fan
Helper I
Helper I

Measure works in Desktop but not in app

I have a relative measure that I created in the desktop app:

'Sell In (€) % am Plan' = calculate('onl v_Fakt_CO_SellIn'[Sell In (€) laufendes GJ]/'onl v_Fakt_CO_FCI'[Total FCI GJ])

Here are the underlying measures:
Sell In (€) laufendes GJ = CALCULATE([Sell In (€)],DATESYTD(v_Dim_Zeit[Datum],"31.07"))
Total FCI GJ = CALCULATE('onl v_Fakt_CO_FCI'[FCI],ALL('onl v_Fakt_CO_FCI'),(v_Dim_Zeit[GJ])="2023")

All of this works perfectly fine in the desktop version:
JW_PBI_fan_0-1675784000587.png

After saving and publishing my report, I opened the app.  For some reason, the measure in the card is showing an error message and it is the only measure on the entire page that is not being displayed.  Below is the error message that I received:

Activity ID: b369d786-cee3-42f2-8549-4ae7e3ed03aa
Request-ID: 8a8995af-0d0e-a2d9-d100-1ef113e51f98
Correlation-ID: 8825d85f-b5e3-ce17-651e-9c9aeb23dd9a
Time: Tue Feb 07 2023 14:02:18 GMT+0100 (Mitteleuropäische Normalzeit)
Service version: 13.0.19958.49
Client version: 2301.4.12022-train

The first question is, how can I fix this?
The second question is, is there a tool that I can use to help me understand what this error message is try to tell me?

Thank you for any help given!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JW_PBI_fan
Helper I
Helper I

So, the solution has been found.  For whatever reason, there was a problem with the date format that was in one of the measures that was used to build the end measure:
Sell In (€) laufendes GJ = CALCULATE([Sell In (€)],DATESYTD(v_Dim_Zeit[Datum],"31.07"))
This EU date format worked when we had it in our desktop version, but since the app was set to US standards, it couldn't cope with it.  I could have saved myself a lot of time and hassle had this been even semi clearly displayed in the error message #foodforthought_microsoft

Hopefully, this helps someone else in the future.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JW_PBI_fan
Helper I
Helper I

So, the solution has been found.  For whatever reason, there was a problem with the date format that was in one of the measures that was used to build the end measure:
Sell In (€) laufendes GJ = CALCULATE([Sell In (€)],DATESYTD(v_Dim_Zeit[Datum],"31.07"))
This EU date format worked when we had it in our desktop version, but since the app was set to US standards, it couldn't cope with it.  I could have saved myself a lot of time and hassle had this been even semi clearly displayed in the error message #foodforthought_microsoft

Hopefully, this helps someone else in the future.

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @JW_PBI_fan 

I tried to query the backend database for the detailed cause of the problem based on the error details you provided, but for some reason the query did not get the expected results, my guess is that some null values or other changes in the update of the data source caused the DAX expression you originally wrote successfully to run an error. If it is convenient, you can try to refresh the local desktop report file to check whether the refresh can be successful, and if so, you can publish the report to the service to see whether the report is displayed normally on the web side, so that you can determine whether the problem is caused by the expression running error caused by the data refresh on the service.

Regarding your consultation question "is there a tool that I can use to help me understand what this error message is try to tell me" In fact, the ID information you give can be found in Microsoft's background database, but due to security reasons, the query permission can only be opened to technical support. So if you encounter these problems, you can consider opening a forum case or opening a ticket to Microsoft for further help.

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

edhans
Super User
Super User

@JW_PBI_fan - did you update the app for the workspace? Often changes in the report can affect the app and cause errors, and the app itself needs to be updated and republished. There are times when this isn't necessary (99% of the time only changing the DAX of a measure means the app doesn't need to be updated), but my workflow is to generally always update the app after I've published an updated report.

Does the visual show correctly in the report itself - navigate to the report in the workspace?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have attempted this several times and am still getting the same results.  In the Desktop, the visual works perfectly. 

JW_PBI_fan_2-1676450138299.png

However, in the app I am still displaying an error:

JW_PBI_fan_1-1676450033262.png

We have also  tried to completely rebuild the measure (delete and recreate [also with a new definition]) and it did not provide the desired results.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors