cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

Re: May 3 announcement FAQ

I'm a little unclear how Premium and Pro will be expected to mix going forward.

Our business is sizable, and its possible we would grow to 500 Pro liceneses eventually (in the previous model).  Presently we have only a fairly small number of users who actively create shared content.  Some of the managers in the business are going to be encouraged to use it personally, but nothing they would share.

My expectation is that our business might have 20 or fewer report collaborators and maybe 1000 users who consume the reports.  If we were to use Power BI prevmium, are we expected to buy 20 Pro Licenses then on top of this pay the 5,000 for Premium so that the 1000 users could view those reports, or do we just pay the 5000 for Premium and we have the ability to allocate special rights to those 20 people included in the 5k cost?

I've looked at the calculator and it gave me the impression that the 5K covers "viewers" and the pro licenses were needed on top for creators.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

RichardV Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Please provide us with answers. I work for a small company as well, and aan important reason we stepped over to Microsoft is the Power BI embedded service. However, we can't pay 60.000 dollar pear year for this. Then we will have to quit with Microsoft.

Why can't the Power BI embedded service stay as it is???

It is really outregious, and we feel cheated if Power BI embedded will only be available with Power BI premium. Please let the Power BI Embedded licensing model as it is.

irnm8dn Member

I am not exactly sure why the same question continues to be asked, and answered in different ways on the message board.

I have a Power BI Pro license, and create dashboards for use in my organization.  Those individuals that are consuming the reports use their organizational credentials to access the dashboards (but are not pro users) though Office 365.

Can I expect that they will be able to continue to consume the existing/new dashboards I create, without having a Pro license?

Power BI Admin
Power BI Admin

Hi @shanemr18 and @Bjorn,

Sharepoint embedding to SharePoint doesn't change that much from its original licensing needs. You will basically have 2 scenarios now (one included with Power BI Premium):

1. As we communicated in the preview announcement: "The Power BI report web part requires all the viewers to have a Power BI Pro license. If your users don’t have a Pro license, they’ll be directed to PowerBI.com where they can enroll or start a Pro trial".

2. If the if the user that is trying to consume the embedded report does not have a Power BI Pro license but is part of a Power BI Premium instance, same viewer rights apply meaning that the user can view the report but collaboration features such as Analyze from Excel are not available, in line with regular Power BI Premium related features.

Both cases assume users embedding and consuming have SPO licenses.

Data for Everyone! We mean it
Power BI Admin
Power BI Admin

Hi @PowerBIUser123,

Beginning June 1 dashboard sharing (and the ability to consume shared content) will be limited to Power BI Pro users. When Power BI Premium becomes generally available late this quarter, a Power BI Pro user publishing to Premium capacity will be able to make that content available to users who aren't individually licensed but are part of the Premium Capacity. 

Super User
Super User

@RichardV@richbenmintz If you follow the main thread, @MiguelMartinez explained this there, but here is his response:

"The existing Power BI Embedded service will continue to be available for at least 12 months, and you can read more here.

We will be introducing additional SKUs for Power BI Premium that target embedded scenarios. While we aren’t disclosing details at this time, our approach is to add further pricing flexibility for embedded scenarios based on the needs of organizations building apps and their customers consuming them."
Near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Power BI Admin
Power BI Admin

Hi again @SourceToShare,

You are more than welcome. We are here to help Smiley Very Happy

Now, if I'm understanding your question correctly, a Power BI Pro user would be able to distribute content - including content using Analysis Services - if the content is published to Power BI Premium capacity workspace and share that with a free user that is also part of that Power BI Premium capacity instance.

That was my complicated version of saying yes, you can Smiley Happy

Power BI Admin
Power BI Admin

Hi @osoosh,

Existing users of the free Power BI service may be eligible for the extended 12 month free trial of Power BI Pro - see here for more information.

Power BI Admin
Power BI Admin

Hi @TezzaX,

Beginning June 1 distribution and sharing will be capabilities limited to Power BI Pro users. Equally, consuming content shared by others will also require a Power BI Pro license. You - and other users of the free service within your organization - may be eligible for the extended 12 month free trial of Power BI Pro. Power BI Premium would be another option for you once it becomes generally available later this quarter. You can visit our calculator to explore what might be best for you.

Power BI Admin
Power BI Admin

Hello @pmdci,

Yes, embedding Power BI in apps will be licensed through Power BI Premium moving forward. Support for on-premises data will be available as part of Power BI Premium. Note we will be introducing additional SKUs for Power BI Premium that target embedded scenarios. While we aren’t disclosing details at this time, our approach is to add further pricing flexibility for embedded scenarios based on the needs of organizations building apps and their customers consuming them.