Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ed-freeman
Helper II
Helper II

Maximum number of workspaces in a Power BI Tenant for NEW workspaces

Hi there,

I've read numerous related forum posts, none of which provides a clear-cut answer to the question: what is the limit to the number of new/modern/v2 workspaces one can have in a single Power BI tenant? Is it unlimited?

There were answers for the Office 365 based (old) workspaces, but I can't find the answer for the new workspaces. This link: Organize work in the new workspaces in Power BI mentions that "A person with a Power BI Pro license can be a member of a maximum 1,000 workspaces." but doesn't address the total number of workspaces possible within a tenant.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Ed

4 REPLIES 4
mhardy
Advocate I
Advocate I

I've been wanting a decisive answer to this question as well.  Unable to find any more than you've mentioned I decided to put it to the test.  I created a new AAD tenant, setup a Power BI Pro user, then wrote a script to create workspaces using the Pro user as a master account.  I successfully created 10,336 workspaces before I finally turned the script off.

A few take-aways...

1.) It appears the 1,000 workspace max for a Pro user is not actually valid, at least for workspaces created via the API, because every one of those workspaces has that Pro user as an admin member.

2.) Still no clear-cut answer, but I can say for certain you can create at least 10 thousand workspaces in a single Power BI tenant using a single Pro user via the REST API.

Mike

Awesome - thanks for doing that.

I had a similar idea but thought it was futile given the documented 1000-workspaces-per-user constraint. Evidently we shouldn't trust the docs 🙂

Ed

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I am not aware of anything super clear on this. My guess is that it is in the 500K range or it is dependent upon the total amount of storage space you get in your tenant. See this thread: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/How-many-APP-WorkSpaces-can-be-create/td-p/250022

There's also this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-manage-your-data-storage-in-power-bi.

I suppose another way to look at this is if a Pro user can only be a member of 1,000 workspaces and if no Pro users share any workspaces, then the limit is 1,000 * # Users

Is this just a theoretical excercise or what is the concern here? 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler, thanks for your quick response. 

Yup - that's pretty much all that I've found. 

It's a theoretical question prompted by an ISV-to-thousands-of-customers Power BI Embedded scenario. We were making architectural decisions, and this point was raised. There isn't a pressing need for a definitive answer to this question as we've gone with an architecture where we won't be needing an inordinate amount of workspaces, but it would still be nice to get some clarification for future reference, if an undocumented limit exists.

With the old Office 365-tied workspaces, it was noted in various places (including that which you shared) that 500k was the limit (although I'd be impressed if people reached that limit!), but it's not so clear with the new workspaces. You're right in that we wouldn't be able to utilize any more workspaces than #Users * 1000, but if we had 1000 users, that could theoretically allow us to have 1 million workspaces (again - highly unlikely, but possible given the documented constraints). 

Thanks again,

Ed

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors