Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sbroaden
Helper I
Helper I

Master slicer to filter 2 models

I have 2 complex PowerBI models that can be joined by some common fields but for the most part, they are very different in nature which is why we have split them out.  Below are my examples.  I am wondering if there will ever be a 'master slicer' on the road map where on a dashboard, if I have a field named the same in 2 datasets, I can create a master slicer to filter the data on both datasets.

Example 1:

Patient data down to the visit level

Example 2:

Market share data down to the hospital level

Fields in common: Time such as Calendar Year and Calendar Month

6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @sbroaden

As long as you have got both datasets in one Power BI Desktop File, you can then create a releationship on the Time (Date Table) to both datasets. So that when you create a slicer from the Time (Date Table) it will then filter both of the datasets, because they are joined via the relationship.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

My problem is that the 2 models were created awhile ago before the need to use them together arose.  If i combine them together, the model will be too large.  Each one has over 100 measures in each and I really don't want to combine them.  I want to find a way to use them separately but join a common field only WHEN NEEDED. 

Hi @sbroaden,

Do you mean the 2 models are in two datasets (two different pbix files)?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes. 2 different pbix files with lots of measures in both.

Hi @sbroaden,

This isn't supported by now. The workaround could be bringing the two datasets into one single file. Or, you can only import the needed data source into each file respectively. You can vote on an idea here or create a new one.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @sbroaden,

I agree with @GilbertQ, you can have the relationship on the basis of time, and you can use time Slicer as the Master filter for your reports.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors