Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Artex
Frequent Visitor

Mariadb connector in on permise Gateway

I've created report with Mariadb live connection, published to Powerbi online (Pro license). How should I setup datasource for on permise Gateway (October 2020 update)? I'm trying to add new datasource to Gateway, but there are no Mariadb connector in list, only Mysql and report is not working, message:

To use a data gateway, make sure the computer is online and the data source is added in Manage Gateways. If you're using an On-premises data gateway (standard mode), please select the corresponding data sources and then click apply.

7 REPLIES 7
uk_tj
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hi Artex,

I've just set this up and in order to add the data source to the gateway you need to install the mariadb ODBC & connector and copy the .mez file from the connector installation to wherever your gateway looks for custom connectors.

"C:\Users\PBIEgwService\Documents\Power BI Desktop\Custom Connectors"

Then restart the gateway and you should now be able to add this data source.

uk_tj_0-1605781750616.png

I did not found .mez file, instead I found mariaDB.pbx. You need to copy mariaDB.pbx file from C:\Users\myuser\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App\CertifiedExtensions or similar folder where is Power BI "CertifiedExtensions" and paste it in Your User Home\Documents\Power BI Desktop\Custom Connectors.

donkpr_0-1666251721526.png

It is mariaDB.pqx not .pbx. And you can find it in C:\Users\myuser\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App\CertifiedExtensions only if you downloaded PowerBI from the Microsoft Store. If you've installed it from a .exe then you have to copy this file from a computer that has it installed from the Microsoft Store. And then copy it to the location where the on-premises data gateway > connectors location shows.

Artex
Frequent Visitor

Hi, thanks for the hint, I've tried to reproduce, but unable to find .mez file. As I understand .mez it is PBI connector file and I should search the file on my desktop computer with PBI desktop. I found 3 files at

C:\Users\myuser\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App\CertifiedExtensions

JethroData1.0.1.mez
TeamDesk.PowerBI.DataConnector.mez
Exasol.mez

is it wrong location?

and second issue - unable to install latest driver version (MariaDB Connector/ODBC 3.1.10 ) on gateway server with old windows 2008. managed to install 3.0.9 version.

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Artex ,

Please kindly refer to this post:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Add-MariaDB-ODBC-to-on-premise-Gateway/m-p/1203825/thread-i...

I think you may try ODBC Data Source Type to connect you Mariadb.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

ODBC Data Source is useless, it does not support live/direct connections.

I can use Mysql Data Source to use mariadb database in Import mode, but Import mode limiting refresh count. Powerbi October 2020 update added Mariadb with live connection support, but I do not understand how the Maridb connector should be used. Maybe Maridb connector support in Gateway will come later ?

Hi Artex

Im having issues trying to get a MariaDB DirectQuery Dataset in PowerBi Service,  my IT team made the connector installation and I created the Datasource that is Online

Cuatexoft_0-1673571188962.png

but when I enter to the dataset Settings I got this message 

We cannot discover all data sources in this dataset right now because the dataset uses a customer connector. Make sure the data gateway associated with this dataset is online and has the custom connector loaded, then click again on Discover Data Sources. Learn more

Discover Data Sources

When I click to Discover Data Sources I got this error

Unable to determine the data source. When custom connectors are used, the error can happen if gateway doesn't have the extension enabled. Details: Static analysis failed in gateway. gatewayObjectId:527c76f5-9850-42ef-9603-efce282a77e7, resultCode:FailedWithUnknownOrUnsupportedDataSources Query contains unsupported function. Function name: MariaDB.Contents .Learn more

Any Idea about what is happening and how to solve it?

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors