Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gregory_hyzak
Frequent Visitor

Maps - Number of points limited at 1000?

When mapping points (we have them all geo-coded already, so only using lat/long), we seem to be limited to mapping no more than 1000 points at a time.  Please tell me how to fix/remove this 1000 point limit on the number of points to be able to show on a map.  This is a deal breaker for our organization, and I'm afraid others will suffer the same.

8 REPLIES 8
tonmcg
Resolver II
Resolver II

With the Mapbox Visual, you can plot hundreds of thousands of data points on a map in Power BI Desktop or in the Power BI Service. The GIF below shows a map that plots over 77K Seattle Fire 911 calls made in 2018. I used Power BI Desktop and the Mapbox Visual to produce this report.

Seattle Real Time 911 Calls Fast.gif

I've made my report available in the Power BI service; you can access it here. Page 4 of the report plots over 77K points, while a similar report on page 3 plots over 107K points!

On my machine, these maps render flawlessly. Panning, zooming, and transitions work extremely well too. With respect to layers, using Mapbox Studio I embedded dozens of layers within these maps, including building locations, waterways, and major highways.

Mapbox Visuals in Power BI Desktop need access to your GPU to work. Mapbox Visuals in the Power BI Service need to run on a browser that supports WebGL, a method of generating dynamic 3D graphics using JavaScript, accelerated through hardware.

Finally, here's a blog post that showcases the latest features in the Mapbox Visual for Power BI. This should be enough to get your started.

aschisel
Regular Visitor

Has anyone had luck in solving this issue? 

I have run into a similar situation, where only a certain number of data points are displayed.  I geo-coded the addresses in a different program, and used latitude-longitude coordinates for mapping philanthropic prospects in PowerBI.  I receive an error saying, "Too many 'Latitude' values.  Not displaying all data.  Filter the data or choose another field."

I have done similar work in other programs, like Tableau, and had no issue with using around 10,000 data points. 

Would love to get some feedback or suggestions on what others have found successful.

I done over 1 million points in Tableau - not terribly performant, but it worked...

sjkp
Advocate II
Advocate II

I dont think the issue is with the map visualization itself. It due to the map using categorized data, and there is a limitation in the UI of the portal that it is not going to pull in more than 1000 data points. This is probably for performance reason as the portal should work on low bandwidth devices as well. 

I would like to see an option that lets you override this, maybe only for paying customers if it's taxing on the powerbi backend. 

I haven't heard of this before, but I read this great blog about transforming data to work in Power BI maps by combining the two and using it in the location field... You could try this to see if you can get things working.

http://www.radacad.com/how-to-do-power-bi-mapping-with-latitude-and-longitude-only

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I don't have the problem of getting points to graph, as discussed in the article you attached.  The problem I'm experiencing is that the map will only show up to 1000 of the points at a time from the dataset.  You get a message warning of "Too many values.  Not showing all data.  Filter the data or choose another field".  It only displays up to 1000 points, before showing the warning message, and does not display all points.  We don't want to filter the data or choose another field, we want to see all points!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah PowerMap out of Excel is far, far, far supierior when it comes to mapping. Would love to see a "beefed up" map offering out of PBI. Dont *really* need all the extras the 3D version provides (for now)...just really need the pindrops to work for starters. 

I agree that power map is far superior.  It looks like anything outside of basic state-level and small numbers of lat/long points is out of scope for power bi maps.  Same goes for power view.  Though I would love for it simply to respect a much large number of points when providing exact lat/long coordinates.  We do not need it to geocode for us, though I do understand that is the intent and probably the reason that it is limited to 1000 (due to scenarios where geocoding on the fly is necessary).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors