Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Gnanasekar
Helper III
Helper III

Map visual

Hi All,

I am creating map visualization for seaport details. I have port country and port name. 

Ex: Port country : India, Port name: vizag, mumbai, haldia, ennore and 4 more ports ( Totally 8 ports)

I got output like : 

Data category (Port Name)       Port Name

BI Desktop        uncategorzied                             8 port showing ( 1 port position was wrong : Jawaharlal Nehru Port was in                                                                                         Mumbai,But it was showing in Goa)

BI Service          uncategorzied                             2 port only showing ( ennore & vizag). very rare time it was showing 8 ports

BI Desktop       City \ Place \ address                   2 port only showing ( ennore & vizag) remaining missing

BI Service         City \ Place \ address                   2 port only showing ( ennore & vizag) remaining missing

port pic.jpg 

1. Why it was showing 2 ports only?
  2. What the reason map was showing 2 places sometime, 8 places sometime?
  3. Is there way to show port name accurately in map visual

I have attached Port Details link. Please test it and give the solution.

By

Gnannasekar

10 REPLIES 10
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

I've found the maps often need more information than simply a town or city name to find the location. The more data you can give the better The best is to have a table of Port Names and Latitude and Longitude, which will always work. A quick look found the following website that gives the latitude and longitude for each Port.

http://www.gccports.com/search/latitude_longitude.php

ports.jpg

Hi @Burningsuit

Thank you. Why Mumbai was not showing in map? It is a city and spelling also same with map.

By 

Gnanasekar

Looking at your "Port Details" example it looks like your data is attempting to map "India, Mumbai", and "India, Sikka",  what is  happening is that the map places a dot for "india" in the geographic centre of "india". So you are actually only getting one dot per Country, not per Port. You may get better results if you turn it around and map "Mumbai, India" rather than "India, Mumbai"

If you use the ESRI map in Desktop, you can specify the country that the datapoints lie in, which may give a better location for your data.

Regards

Stuart

Hi @Burningsuit

Their two columns were present not a single column. (Port country & Port Name)

I was used hierarchy in map visual.

It was showing port country now. Please drill down and see how many port names showing there. 

Please select Mumbai, Sikka in port name slicer and see map in port name level. 

Hierarchy was presented now like Port country then Port name. If I give port name then port country, it also showing same value there.

By 

Gnanasekar

Hi @Gnanasekar

I've had a go with your data, take a look at this report I've increased the accuracy of the map by appending the country to the port name. It seems to work fine with most examples "inda,Mumbai" "India,sikka" for example. The only fail is on Jawaharlal Nehru Port. Look at page 2 to see the data. Drill down works, and selecting the individual ports work (except Jawaharlal Nehru Port). 

Hi @Burningsuit

I worked on report which was shared by you. There also I am getting less value.

1. Map visual in combained level

$517911BA3E9607AB.jpgHere I can see only 'India,Ennore' and 'India,vizag'. Remaining are missing. No filter applied here.

2. Map visual in country and combined level
$387366BC91FBFC7B.jpg

Here I can able to see 'India,Sikka' only . Remaining are missing. No filter applied here.

You told that you seen most of ports. But I unable to see that all. Why map was showing different result?

By,

Gnanasekar 

Hi @Gnanasekar

the map works as I explained in Power BI Desktop, but as you see when published to Service the map behaves differently and some locations are not shown. This looks to me like a bug in the Map, behaving inconsistently between Desktop and Service

Hey @Gnanasekar, have you tried this again? I just had a look, and following another map problem report here the online map now seems to be working, at least it is consistent with the results I am getting on Desktop. Jawaharlal Nehru Port and Vadinar Terminal are not mapped, but I suspect that is a difficulty in finding the location, as they are not mapped in Desktop either.

As I said at the beginning, you may need to use Latitude and Longitude to identify such places.

However, it does now seem to be "working", in as much as the web service and Desktop render the same answer, which they did not before.

Hi @Burningsuit

Yeah Stuart. Now I am getting remaining all ports. I understood the difficulty to find out Jawaharlal Nehru Port and Vadinar Terminal place. This two ports are fine. But remaining were not fixed.

We are getting port place (Mumbai, sikka, Kandla,etc..) today. It might be disappear tomorrow. I was already faced this kind of issue. One day place are showing. Another day this places are disappearing. I don't know what is happening in Power BI Service. I am sure, problem not fixed. Let us see, in two or three this places (Mumbai, sikka, Kandla,etc..) won't appear.

We should raise this bug to high level. Do you know, how to raise bug to Power BI developing team?

By

Gnanasekar

If you feel it's a problem, you can post in the Issues forum, here https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

Regards

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors