Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

shivaprasadg
Frequent Visitor

Map Visualization Not Working in power bi service

Map Visualization Not Working in power bi service by providing simple state information...earlier it was working ...

Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @shivaprasadg,

By my test, both of the Bing Map and Esri map work well in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service.

desktop.png

Service.PNG

Does the map visual work on Power BI Desktop?

What map do you use and whether all map type visuals don't work?

If it is convenient, could you share some screenshots to specify the scenario map visual not working in Power BI service?

In addition, you could have a reference of this similar thread map visual not work which has been solved.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
CBC2

Any one having any issue with getting the maps to populate states? Its only picking up Alaska, Hawaii, and all of the Canadian prov?

thanks, 

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @shivaprasadg,

By my test, both of the Bing Map and Esri map work well in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service.

desktop.png

Service.PNG

Does the map visual work on Power BI Desktop?

What map do you use and whether all map type visuals don't work?

If it is convenient, could you share some screenshots to specify the scenario map visual not working in Power BI service?

In addition, you could have a reference of this similar thread map visual not work which has been solved.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Cherry,

I used Bing maps.

Yes , all map type visuals wasn't worked , so i logged out from power bi service and logged in then got worked.

thanks for your response.

Dears,

I have this issue since the past week or so. In Power BI desktop the map visualization is working, but not in the published report or service. My data are simple and tagged as latitude and longitude. I tried the above, connect to my account and disconnect but it ain't working. It is the first time I am confronted to this issue, it seems that it happends after the last update of the desktop version.

I attach here the 2 different screen shot, firs desktop then service. I need help please.

Thank you,

SebDesktop View OK.jpgService View not OK.jpg

I see from below you have the issue sorted out. But from your screen shots you had the same issue as me. LAT/LONG for location as well as one field for legend and others for tooltips. I had similar setup that was working fine until last week. But then maps went blank. From my troubleshooting, I found I can have Legend OR tooltip now, but not both. When you recreated did you add a legend/tooltip still?

I've recreated my visuals but still doesn't work unless I remove one of the legend/tooltip.

This still works on desktop with both legend and tooltip. 

Would like this to be fixed, the use of legend and tooltip on this map is critical. 

@jalsing

You are right, I recreated without tooltips. Just tried to readd the tooltips and same odd issue as reported. Until MS fix this behavior I will leave the tooltips blank.

Good spotting!

Thanks a lot.

Seb

Just thought I'd add that I'm also a victim of the pointless map bug. This started some time between Friday afternoon and Monday afternoon. My map had been working fine for months, and there's been no changes to the report in weeks. Interestingly, my non-working report doesn't care whether I have a legend or not, but it simply will not accept a tooltip of any kind. My temporary workaround is to remove all tooltips from this specific report.

I have 2 reports with maps and one works but one doesn't.

WORKING REPORT:

-Import

-Legend

-Multiple tooltips

-Size field

NON-WORKING REPORT:

-Direct Query

-Legend

-Multiple tooltips

So update to my original post: I got it working today! Not sure if this would have worked yesterday or if MS has done something in the background, but here's my resolution steps:

-Open report in Desktop

-Remove tooltips from visual

-Publish to workspace, overwriting previous dataset - this was our temporary workaround that worked but had no tooltips

-Publish app

-Back in Desktop, add tooltips back as they were

-Publish to workspace **it broke again here!**

-Back in Desktop, remove individual tooltips to isolate the issue. I removed a decimal field from tooltips

-Publish to workspace - works!

-Back in Desktop, add back the removed tooltip and reorder so the decimal field is at the bottom (2 text fields above)

-Publish to workspace, overwriting previous dataset

-Publish app

-Profit

I have no idea which if any of these steps is relevant to solving my problem, but I included as much as I could to try to help as many as possible.. especially if the dev team is reading this...

I should also specify I'm using the May 2018 64-bit Desktop tool, but the report has been published several times from this exact version/instance before with no issue.

I have the same problem.  Works fine in Desktop but in service.  Bing Maps, using Lat Long.  Was working fine until recently.   Desktop Version: 2.59.5135.781  64-bit (June 2018).

Have tried categorising lat longs and logging out/in of service to troubleshoot.

@TWarfe75

For what it is worth,

It is now working in my end. I did the following manipulation, not sure it is the reason that made it works or not.

1) Changed my map type from bing to ARCgis in desktop (creating account in esri, enabling the parameters in service etc)

2) Published and tried to reach it from public

3) realized that the public has to have an account to see the esri map

4) In desktop changed the ARCgis map to bing again

5) republished

6) it works in service

Hope it helps

Cheers,

Seb

@IamSeb

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately, that didn't solve the issue for me.  Grrr!!!!   

Hi There,

Definitely Maps in Power BI Service with Lat/Long are broken.

Decimals in Lat/long are getting being truncated.

I've tried too the tips above but still not working.

All my maps with lat/long were functional last week.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Make sure that the data type of the table is set correctly to "city", "state" etc.

category type.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors