Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mitchgrnr
Frequent Visitor

Map Visualization Not Working On Power BI Service, Work in Desktop

Hello,

We have a report uploaded to the Power BI service which uses the standard map visual.  While working in desktop the visual works as expected but once uploaded to the service it shows at most three dots - and not consistently the same ones.  Using slicers simply removes the displayed dots.  I have tried reuploading the file with the same issue.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

had the same problem and got it to work again

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Unchanged-report-works-in-2-46-4732-581-broken-in-latest-rel...

its just the update to the map control in the june release 3 days ago

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-june-feature-summary/#geoHierarchy

use multiples seperate fields now like street + postal + city + country

if you want to keep your one field just remove the categorization and it should work again

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
shivaprasadg
Frequent Visitor

Hi mitch,

facing same error have you got any solution for this......pls let me know

PowerBiFun
Frequent Visitor

All of sudden this problem happened to us last Friday.  The map visualization still works fine for desktop, but no longer working on powerbi.com. 

I have reviewed the solutions and tried everything. But it just didn't work. Has anything changed since last week? 

Thanks,

Hi there suffering from the same issue occuring about the same time. We had very important map reports showing 10,000 points using the online service it was working fine and now is is not. Desktop version is working still and well. Tried to re-upload and still not working. Tried drilling down to 100 datapoints as a report filter. still the maps not working.

HELP 

Hi all - to answer my own issue and hopefully save someone some time!

I have found that the latest update of powerbi.com is not supporting data sources in the same way as last week. Its possibly an improvement but had an impact nonetheless that’s not cricket! 

Check your query and data types, previously if you used an alpha-number string type for Lat and Long - Power bi online handled it fine and displayed map positions. Currently power BI desktop still does handle it fine, and all is dandy!

I believe the change last week now requires lat and long to be a Decimal number for them to work as required and plot locations. I have changed these useing a query step on both fields - republished the reports and the maps appear to be working.

Let me know how you all get on 🙂

I got a response from @Eric_Zhang, who explained what happened and provided a fix: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Map-visualization-stopped-working/m-p/324824/highlight/fa...

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mitchgrnr,

We will report this issue internally, and post back if there is any feedback. Smiley Happy

Regards

Hi.

More or less the same problem: locations like "city, country" appear correctly on desktop, but, once published, do not work.

This appeared last week.

Regards

had the same problem and got it to work again

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Unchanged-report-works-in-2-46-4732-581-broken-in-latest-rel...

its just the update to the map control in the june release 3 days ago

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-june-feature-summary/#geoHierarchy

use multiples seperate fields now like street + postal + city + country

if you want to keep your one field just remove the categorization and it should work again

This post solved it!  Under data view there is a new classification of "place"  if your entire address is still in one column.  Per the new feature video (which I should have watched but didn't...) there is a location heirarchy now too, which I suppose I should start using now.  Thanks for your help!

@mitchgrnr Yeah I just experimented a bit with the new hierarchy and drilldown but I don't really get it to work the way I want.

I basically want all the customer address info from multiples fields

street, postal code, city, country...

to be used for location finding.

With Drilldown even if I place country first and drill down I get weird results because it only uses one field per layer. I think the best solution is still to use the general query and concat all the strings into one field at least thats what gives me the best results

For aggregating country/regional totals I find it best to use shapemaps or a second map control.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors