Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

GuyInATesseract
Frequent Visitor

Many datasets, many reports - few users per dataset/report

I would like to distribute many reports, all based on their own separate datasets - and they all have a small number of specific users or groups.

The ideal would be the ability to create many different apps from a single workspace - but since that request ( Multiple apps from same workspace ) is not in the near future, what could be a solution?

John

11 REPLIES 11
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @GuyInATesseract,

I would like to distribute many reports, all based on their own separate datasets - and they all have a small number of specific users or groups.

When you publish apps, you can grant access to specific users or groups rather than the whole organization. All these apps can be pubslihed inside a single app workspace.

But the requirement that create different apps based on the same dataset but avoid the duplicate of dataset is not supported now.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

"But the requirement that create different apps based on the same dataset but avoid the duplicate of dataset is not supported now."

Duplication of datasets is not a problem - problem is that I can only create one app per workspace, as far as I can see. Can you confirm this?

Regards, John

Hi @GuyInATesseract,

It is allowed to publish multiple apps inside the same App WorkSpace. In your scenario, did you get any error prompt when you attempted to publish a second App?

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yulgu-msft Could you elaborate on your previous comment?

John

Hi @GuyInATesseract,

Based on my test, a member inside App Workspace is allowed to publish only one App. Publishing multiple apps for a use looks not supported now.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Well, I just can't seem to find the option to add more apps. I can edit the existing, unpublish. How would I go around adding more apps to the same workspace?

Regards, John

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very interesting thread. I checked this, did not find option to create a second app from the same app workspace. May be experts can help.

Untitled3.png

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Multiple workspaces?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg, 

That is not an option - that would mean a couple of thousand of workspaces a year which I do not find feasible. So sorry for not being explicit - but the goal is avoid a load of workspaces.

John

OK, so what if you have all the reports in a single workspace but just share each report individually?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

But if datasets and reports exist in a single workspace - wouldn't that mean that all users could access all datasets and reports? That is not an option.

John

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors