Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tow
Frequent Visitor

Manually update report in Power BI SERVICE with the data source MySQL hosted on Azure Linux VM

Hi all!

I have successfully created a report which reads the data from a MySQL database hosted on an Azure Linux VM.

So far so good. What does not work is triggering the update within the hosted report. I always have to update

the report in Power BI desktop, then I can update in the Service.

When I want to update the dataset which got uploaded with the report, I get errors, that say my data gateway (personal mode) is not to be found. Why would I need a data gateway for a cloud-service?

This seems not well to me, but it is such a simple requirement - I am really wondering why this is not working.

In short: I just want that my report in Power BI service is updated by clicking update IN THE SERVICE WITHOUT having to click update in the Power BI desktop files.

What am I doing wrong here? Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Tow I should have finished my thought. While IaaS requires a gateway, there is a current limitation in Power BI in that the Linux OS is not supported for the gateway.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Tow
Frequent Visitor

ok, thank you, we will synchronize the MySQL-DB with a MSSQL-DB...

@Tow VM = Iaas? If so, Infrastructure as a Service is treated like an on-premises data source. You would need to install a Power BI Gateway on the VM in order to schedule a refresh in the Service. Only Paas or Saas services are true cloud and wouldn't require a gateway.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Oh, yeah, sorry for the wording. I am not the Azure expert here.

Thank you, is there any tutorial where this is shown on the linux console?

@Tow I should have finished my thought. While IaaS requires a gateway, there is a current limitation in Power BI in that the Linux OS is not supported for the gateway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors