Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gramespa
Frequent Visitor

Manual refresh works but can' schedule auto refresh

Hi all,

since a few days i experience the issue that i can't set up auto refresh since my data source credentials are not valid. 

I checked in Desktop Version: No mistakes or errors here.

I started manual refresh online: No problems here.

I try to schedule auto refresh: I can't receiving error bellow. Also weird is that for the two web connections i supposidly don't have credentials the API key doesn't match the key set in Power BI Desktop.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Why would the API keys be different?

And what happens if you had to create the URL as a parameter and then manually change it in the Power BI Service?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Hi @gramespa ,

Sorry for our delay in response, Does this issue have been resolved? Could you please try to create a paramater called API_Paramater, then if your query using web.comtent like following:

Source = Web.Contents("https://XXX.com?api_key=XXXXX")

We can replace it with the following

Source = Web.Contents("https://XXX.com",[RealtivePath="?api_key=" & API_Paramater])

Then we should be able to change parameter in Power BI Service to change the api key.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gramespa ,

In which step you got the error, configure the scheduled or run the scheduled refresh? What is the last time the scheduled refresh worked? Have you configured gateway for this datasource? Could you please check the credential of data source in the gateway setting if you have a gateway?

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, 

i get the error during set up of the auto refresh. Triggering the refresh manually works though.

Also something interesting i noticed: One data set shows the same error when i open the data set settings, autorefresh runs smooth though.

I feel like PowerBI service has trouble to update the data source settings i changed in PowerBI desktop

Best regards

Hi there

What happens if you go and update the data source settings in the Gateway and then try and do the schedule refresh?

Power BI Blog

When i try to correct the faulty credentials (Problem is outdated API key in web URL) i can't since the URL is grayed out and not changable. 

Kinda running out of ideas since not even deleting and republishing the dataset solved the issue.

Update: I temporarly solved the issue using a power flow that triggers dataset refresh every 3 hours - basically what scheduled refresh would do. No issues here. So i really can't see why PowerBi keeps telling me there's an issue with my  data source credentials...

Hi @gramespa ,

Did the issue occur after changing value of the header in Web.Contents function in Power BI Desktop,  then republish and replace the old one? Could you please try to verify if it can set the scheduled refresh after publish the pbix into another workspace or publish to current workspace as another name?

Best regards,

Yes, the issue ocurred after changing the value in Desktop and republishing.

I tried to publish using another name and another workspace. Doesn't fix the issue... Still having the same error.

Below snippings of the source link. As you can see the API key I get from Power BI Desktop is different to what I see online.

API 2.PNGAPI.PNG

Really running out of ideas especially since neither deleting, renaming, republishing etc. seem to fix the bug. And yet: Triggering the refresh using power automate has been working perfectly fine since days now...

Hi @gramespa ,

Sorry for our delay in response, Does this issue have been resolved? Could you please try to create a paramater called API_Paramater, then if your query using web.comtent like following:

Source = Web.Contents("https://XXX.com?api_key=XXXXX")

We can replace it with the following

Source = Web.Contents("https://XXX.com",[RealtivePath="?api_key=" & API_Paramater])

Then we should be able to change parameter in Power BI Service to change the api key.

Best regards,

Why would the API keys be different?

And what happens if you had to create the URL as a parameter and then manually change it in the Power BI Service?

Power BI Blog

That is really interesting, there might be an issue with the scheduled refresh then?

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Can you confirm in the data source settings that the credentials are entered correctly?

Power BI Blog

That's the point: They are in the PowerBI desktop version - I updated them there. But they didnt get updated in PowerBI Service.

But still, if i trigger the refresh manually i can refresh, so the connections should be fine.I just cant set up auto refresh, since it keeps showing me the outdates credentials as faulty

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors