Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LY18
Helper I
Helper I

Manual refresh impossible for some admin with personal gateway

Hi,

Due to intern limitation, we could not activate a entreprise gateway .... All the report and workspace are connecting through a personal gateway using my company account.

for a long time it was working fine, the automatic refresh are running fine

and if another admin of the workspace needed it , he could do a manual refresh of a particular dataset

Since now 2 weeks we have issue with some people that could not use the manual refresh (even if they are admin !) 

it's very disturbing because some people can, some people have acces to some workspace but not to all of them, and some other users have no more access to any refresh ...... while everyone is admin on all worksape

i really don't get it

Do you know if Microsoft change recently some rules on how to deal with manual refresh ?

many thanks for your help ....

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am also facing this issue. Can you solve it finally?

BR,

Jason

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @LY18 

I have some questions:

1. Which data sources you are using?

2. Which connectivity mode is adoptted?

3. Are the data source and the gateway on the same machine?

4. Is there any error message?

The following table describes differences between an on-premises data gateway and an on-premises data gateway(personal mode).

TABLE 1
  On-premises data gateway On-premises data gateway (personal mode)
Cloud services supported Power BI, PowerApps, Azure Logic Apps, Power Automate, Azure Analysis Services, dataflows Power BI
Runs As configured by users who have access to the gateway As you for Windows authentication and as configured by you for other authentication types
Can install only as computer admin Yes No
Centralized gateway and data source management Yes No
Import data and schedule refresh Yes Yes
DirectQuery support Yes No
LiveConnect support for Analysis Services Yes No

For further information, you may refer to the document . I'd like to suggest you update the gateway to the latest version to see if if help. If it still doesn't work, you may open a support ticket here .

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

First thanks for the answer 

so : 

1:  data sources are files (excel) on sharedrives . Every one have access to them... and from what i understand , when someone press the manual refresh on the service , the "power bi service" is using my personnal gateway , to connect with my account ... so this shouldn't be blocking .... 

2: i don't understand the question ... what do you mean by "connectivity mode" ?

all reports have a automatic refresh daily , working perfectly fine.

I can use the manual refresh without issue.

but for some reasons on some reports, admins can't use the manual refresh , and on other reports they can ...

i can't figure out if there is a setting somewhere .... the gateway is the same for all reports ... all user have the same level (admin) ....

3:  data source are on a sharedrive, Gateway is on a fixed computer on the network 

4: yes , user that can not refresh manually got this message 

LY18_0-1592807540444.png

of course i confirm the gateway is online 😉

does it give you some ideas ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors