Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Han12345
Frequent Visitor

Manual dataset refresh stops working sometimes

Hi,

I have a published dataset which is connected to an Excel file (via 'Analyze in Excel') and needs to be manually refreshed regularly. A scheduled refresh works fine and a manual refresh also works fine of the time. However, sometimes it doesn't for some reason.

What happens is that, after clicking the 'Refresh Now' button:

- The preparing to refresh pop up shows up and disappears again  

- The circling loading sign does not show 

- The date of latest update does not change

- After clicking again, the pop-up shows up again but the dataset is still not refreshed. 

Then, suddenly after a few hours (the amount of hours varies) suddenly the dataset starts refreshing once, for everytime that you clicked the 'Refresh Now' button. For this application it is vital that the dataset can be manually refreshed when needed, so waiting a few hours is not an option. 

Has anybody encountered this issue as well? And if so, how can I fix it? I can't really tell wheter it is a problem with the data gateway or the Power BI Data Service. 

Any suggestions would be very welcome!  

Regards,

Han

5 REPLIES 5
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Han12345 ,

I have a little confused about your scenario.

Do you have this refresh error in Power BI or in Excel? If there is any more detail error message?

If it is convenient, could you share the screenshot of your error message?

Do you have this issue for other dataset or only this specific dataset? 

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherry,

The refresh error happens in the Power BI Report Service, when clicking the manual refresh button. 

And there is no error message, that is the weird part. It says "Preparing to refresh" just likt it always does, but then nothing happens. When you click it again, again "Preparting to refresh" shows up and still nothing happens. Then suddenly after a few hours it refreshes twice (or more times if you clicked it more times). 

As far as I know there problem is only present for one dataset, but I am not sure, since this is the only dataset that is (and needs to be) manually refreshed regularly.  

Regards,

Han

Hi there, this happened to me as well today. The only difference is that we have not excel as datasources but mix of csv and oracle dataset. There is any solution? Is the gateway involved? I have also check the status but seems the only "awareness" is regarding a gateway issue for the march verzion. Funny thing is that we have an older version of the gatway but still we encounter this problem.

I haven't found a solution yet... It still works perfectly sometimes and doesn't at other times. I have updated the data gateway (personal mode) to the latest version, but this doesn't help. 

By the way, I am not only using Excel as a datasource. It is a combination of Excel files and an ODBC connection to a PostgresSQL database. 

Hi @Han12345 ,

Please check if the Refresh history is successful after your manually refresh?

If it is scuccessful, I'm afraid that your 'd better create a support ticket to get the further help if you have the Pro license.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors