Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ghaines
Helper II
Helper II

Managing Refresh Schedule

I work with a fairly temperamental data source and need to coordinate my scheduled refreshes on my on-premises data gateway carefully.  I maintain my own excel document so that I know when individual reports refresh, and convert each to my local time so I can make decisions about how to modify the schedule, or even to know when I can put a larger load on the data source from Power BI Desktop.

I was wondering if there was a way to manage this from within Power BI Service though.  When I "Manage connections and gateways", there doesn't seem to be an option to see the schedule, but I am still hopeful it is hidden somewhere!

Is there a way?  Does anyone else have a different approach they use in a similar situation?

Edit:  Looking more, it looks like there should be something under within the Admin Portal, but is that only for premium users/ premium capacities?

3 REPLIES 3
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @ghaines ,

The "Manage Connections and Gateways" is only about setup for Gateways and Data Sources.  It doesn't have a schedule in that area.

The schedule for when a report is refreshed is in the settings for each Data Source individually.  Also, there is a "Refresh History" that shows how long each refresh took.

You could use the API to determine when your refresh starts and ends for each report and see what your overlap is.  The API's can be found here: Power BI REST APIs for embedded analytics and automation - Power BI REST API | Microsoft Learn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi Collin, thanks for your answer.

When you mentioned the refresh schedule is in the settings for each data source do you instead mean each report individually?  I cannot see anything in the settings for each data source under "Manage connections and gateways"

Those APIs look very useful, thanks for showing me that.

HI @ghaines ,

Yes, I mean for each report.  There is (in the APIs) the ability to see which reports are using which Data Source as well.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors