Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jannis
Advocate I
Advocate I

Managing Power BI subscriptions for Apps

Hello all, 

the new feature that "Users that have been assigned the admin role in a workspace can now view all subscriptions" is great, but it does not cover all our requirements since we mostly use Apps to share our reports. 

Managing Power BI subscriptions just got easier | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

It is important for us to manage and view all subsciptions of Apps. 

Can you please add Apps to this new feature. 

8 REPLIES 8
MarkPalmberg
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Can subscriptions created by a user via an app even be accessed via the Power BI API?

AnonymousPerson
Advocate V
Advocate V
AnonymousPerson
Advocate V
Advocate V

BUMP ...

The problem is that subscriptions created from a workspace's app are evidently not supported, and nobody from the product team ever thought to mention this. They still haven't responded in the announcement blog post or anywhere else. They do not seem to care at this point. 

Subscriptions created from a Workspace's app must be manageable by the Workspace's admin. 

AnonymousPerson
Advocate V
Advocate V

Same problem here. Great feature, but totally useless if it does not encompass apps. 99.999% of my users get what they need through the workspace's app. If I have to rethink that strategy then I need to know one way or the other.

The blog post is not clear on whether apps are suppported or not. In my testing, they are not supported. Another comment on the blog from a user says he was able to manage subscriptions created in an app.... but I'm not sure I trust his level of expertise.

If anyone from Microsoft is reading this, can you please comment? The blog author hasn't responded to any comments. 

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Can you explain exactly what you need? I'm asking beacuse Apps don't have subscriptions. That's a feature for reports and dashboards. Everything else for apps can be modified by the admin of the workspace.

I hope that make sense,

Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Apps have subscriptions when they are actually a dashboard. Some of ours are that way. The users go to apps and then click on the app and what they see is a dashboard. They are then able to subscribe like they could subscribe to a dashboard, but the subscription is not visible in the subscription page because they've technically subscribed to an app, apparently (at least that's how it appears in my tests). When the app is just a list of a reports, the subscribe button doesn't appear in the app. 

Apps contain reports and dashboards.

You can SUBSCRIBE to any report or dashboard in an app.

The way apps are treated in Power BI behind the scenes seems very obscure. They are part of the workspace they came from, but they're also not, because you still have to "UPDATE APP" to push changes to an existing report or dashboard.

All I know is if there is a way for workspace admins to see existing subscriptions for workspaces, then they need it for apps EVEN MORE!

Here's the related idea:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=38e000b1-6fc5-ec11-bea2-281878e63983

Hi, 

we do not distribute our reports through a workspace. We publish our reports by giving the colleagues access to an app. These apps are created in workspaces and we can decide which report in the workspace we want to include in this app. Publish an app in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

The user then has access to the app and also to the reports which we inlcuded to the app but not to the workspace itself. They can then subscribe the reports which are included in the app. For us these subscriptions are invisible

Thanks in advance. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors