Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ristaul
Frequent Visitor

Managing Multiple Reports in a Single Work-Space w/ Different Permissions

Scenario:

I have the need to have multiple reports in a single premium workspace, but to have different permissions for each report and associated dataset. In a perfect world, when a member of the workspace selects the 'reports' tab, they would only see the reports that they have access to, but if that cannot be achieved, at a bare minimum, I need to ensure that if they click the report or data set, that they cannot access the content

Kicker:

I am trying to accomplish this task sans RLS. I will use RLS if it is truly the only way, but I would still be miffed on exactly how to do that without adding a ton of manual effort/maitenance into the PBIX data model.

Please Help!

5 REPLIES 5
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ristaul ,

Currently it is not supported yet to apply RLS on report level. There is an idea about that, you can vote it up.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @Ristaul ,

Does that make sense? If so kindly mark my answer as a solution to close the case. Thanks in advance.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

@v-frfei-msft  - Everything that was said makes complete sense, but the issue has not been solved in any way; I'd like to keep this open for others who might have creative solutions or ideas

Michiel
Resolver III
Resolver III

Workspaces are meant to collaborate on reports and datasets, not for distribution. If you want to restrict access, make sure your users are not a member of the workspace but share the report with them from within the workspace (or create an app to do this). Alternatively, create separate workspaces for each security group.

I think there enlies my issue, I want a common workpalce for collaboration, but not all team members should see all of the BI reports. I totally understand the seperate workspace thing, but that is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I know it might not be MSFTs designed use case, but I am hoping someone can help me find a solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors