Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Managing Gateways and Scheduled Refreshes While Away

My understanding is that for scheduled refreshes to work, my pc must be 'awake' and connected to internet. I have a report that I would like to refresh daily. I would also like to go on vacation occasionally and not have to babysit my laptop.

Best solution?

Would it be possible for a co-worker to save a copy of the desktop file and publish/refresh the same report through their own gateway?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
edhans
Super User
Super User

Install the gateway on a PC that never goes to sleep. Work with your IT department. There may be a PC, VM, or server the gateway can run on. MS's web page on gateways recommend to not install on laptops or any machines that may access data over WiFi or go to sleep.

If the report in the service changes to their gateway, you'll have to reconfigure it to your gateway. This is why enterprise vs personal gateways are preferred for reports others use. One gateway, (or multiple, depending on how admins set it up) will work no matter who publishes the report. 

Personal gateways are only useful for reports you and you alone use. Once it becomes a company report that many use, the shortcomings become obvious. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

shugh
Frequent Visitor

It sounds like you need to add a virtual machine (probably easiest to do this from Azure) and install an on premises data gateway on that machine. There will be a cost involved but this will probably be the best way to do it. The following links should help with this process:

Creating an azure virtual machine - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/...

Installing the data gateway - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
shugh
Frequent Visitor

It sounds like you need to add a virtual machine (probably easiest to do this from Azure) and install an on premises data gateway on that machine. There will be a cost involved but this will probably be the best way to do it. The following links should help with this process:

Creating an azure virtual machine - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/...

Installing the data gateway - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway...

edhans
Super User
Super User

Install the gateway on a PC that never goes to sleep. Work with your IT department. There may be a PC, VM, or server the gateway can run on. MS's web page on gateways recommend to not install on laptops or any machines that may access data over WiFi or go to sleep.

If the report in the service changes to their gateway, you'll have to reconfigure it to your gateway. This is why enterprise vs personal gateways are preferred for reports others use. One gateway, (or multiple, depending on how admins set it up) will work no matter who publishes the report. 

Personal gateways are only useful for reports you and you alone use. Once it becomes a company report that many use, the shortcomings become obvious. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors