Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cmilligan262
Helper II
Helper II

Managing Confidential information in Reports and Workspace

I have created a workspace for my business units finance team. On it I've been using dataflows to store my reports that I query inside of Power BI. Problem being that one of these reports is the business unit roster that contains confidential information for employees. Currently the only workspace users are people that have acces to this anyway but would soon like to share it with people who don't. I would just delete the information but need it in one of the reports. 

Any information would be helpful on how to limit visibility.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @cmilligan262 ,

Based on my research, we cannot control the permission of dataflow to specific user. How about share only the nessary report to them instead of add them into workspace, it should be able to prevent them access the dataflow, but if this report contain the data from data from workflow, we suggest you to apply Row Level Security.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Row Level Seurity (RLS)

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@cmilligan262 

Look into Row Level Security(RLS). Incorporate that with the confidential table and manually control who should have access to that. All the visuals which uses that table will be blank for other users.

If it helps, mark it as a solution

Kudos are nice too

Connect on LinkedIn

What about managing access to dataflows? I currently use a the report as a dataflow entity to not have to use a personal gateway. Would I be able to manage who uses the dataflow if I give acces to the workspace?

Hi @cmilligan262 ,

Based on my research, we cannot control the permission of dataflow to specific user. How about share only the nessary report to them instead of add them into workspace, it should be able to prevent them access the dataflow, but if this report contain the data from data from workflow, we suggest you to apply Row Level Security.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Not sure if the roster data is in a different report, that’s not totally clear to me.
If that is the case, you could publish an app with all the reports in it that can be seen by the users and leave the “private” report in the workspace.
I’ll have to test if users to the app also have access to the dataflows of a workspace, but I don’t think so.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors