Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DataVitalizer
Super User
Super User

Manage user space in Premium capacity

Hi Community,

About to implement premium capacity to prevent buying pro license per users when a serious question showed up.

1. Does using a premium capacity allow free users to publish?
  2. How can I manage the limit size per user in this capacity like user A would consume only 5% of the capaicty size and user B would consume only 6%... ?
  3. Does total of imported Datasets equal to the capacity limit (100TB) ?

Thank you in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @DataVitalizer ,

vmengzhumsft_0-1669185949373.png

What is Power BI Premium Gen2? - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

You can assign workspaces to purchased capacities.

A related document on distributing and managing capacity can be found in this article.

Configure and manage capacities in Power BI Premium - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
djurecicK2
Super User
Super User

@DataVitalizer 100 GB is the limit for P3 or PPU only.

Here are the limits for other premium skus:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-premium-gen2-what-is#capacities-and-sk...

PPU:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-premium-per-user-faq#using-premium-per...

@lbendlin do you have any documentation that the data set sIzes can exceed capacity max? I'm not aware of any, but am happy to learn.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

1. no

2. there is no such limit

3. there is no such limit

Your Premium capacity SKU has a memory size limit, which impacts how many datasets can be loaded into memory at the same time.  Datasets can have sizes larger than the capacity.  There's also the compression aspect that you need to consider.

Optimize Microsoft Power BI Premium capacities - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Respectfully, I have to disagree with you on 3- there is a 100 TB limit as documented here:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-manage-your-data-storage-in-power-bi#...

You are correct.  How likely are you to hit that limit though?  At that point you probably use more than one capacity anyway.

I agree with you that it is a pretty high limit that most orgs will not get close to.

Premium capacity has a limit size of 100TB with a max size per dataset of 100GB

Since we can't control the used size per user, can I then create workspaces for each publisher and specify a limit on that level? if so, how can I do it?

Thank you in advance

a max size per dataset of 100GB

Please provide a link that states this.  My understanding is that dataset sizes can extend beyond the capacity SKU limits.

Acutally I confused the model size limit of 'Per User' with 'Per capacity'.

The premium capacity has a limit size of 100TB with a max size per model of 400GB depending of the choosen SKU, in this can can this size be managed for each published added to the workspace?

Thank you in advance

Hi @DataVitalizer ,

vmengzhumsft_0-1669185949373.png

What is Power BI Premium Gen2? - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

You can assign workspaces to purchased capacities.

A related document on distributing and managing capacity can be found in this article.

Configure and manage capacities in Power BI Premium - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors