Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TaylorN
Helper I
Helper I

Manage access to Paginated Reports with Security Groups

I have created some security groups with specific access to Paginated Reports. The Service allows you to enter a group name, and grant them access, however, I've found that when the members of these groups go to access the report, they get a message saying they will need to request access, and then I have to grant the members each access individually.

So I am wondering; is this how it's supposed to work? i.e. you shouldn't be able to grant a security group access to specific reports like you can with normal Power BI Reports?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Quite strange, this appears to be working now. 

I had some of the users go to the "Shared With Me" tab, and access the reports in question (the URL is slightly different), after doing so they were able to access the reports in the link shared in the initial e-mail. 

My guess is that they needed to access it via the "Shared With Me" area first, but this seems a little counter-intuitive as they get an e-mail initially with the report link...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @TaylorN,

Where are you configure the access permissions? Power bi service or the datasource side? As the document mentioned, these paginated reports require the same operation as sharing power bi service contents.
So if you only assign the permission on data source side, it will also ask you to do these on power bi side.

What are paginated reports in Power BI Premium? 

Paginated reports in Power BI: FAQ 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft 

I have applied the permissions on the reports, in the Service. I shared the report with a security group, which seems to work, but these users below are this security group, and they get prompted when opening the report saying they don't have access.

See below screenshot. 

2020-05-15 12_34_56-Window.png

Hi @TaylorN,

I'd like to suggest you do some advanced testing to confirm if this issue is related to specific group members or paginated reports.

For example:

1. Share some general power bi contents with the same steps to these security group members. (if the same issue appears, it should be related to sharing contents)
2. Create a new security group with some testing users and test to sharing your paginated report. (ensure if this issue related to special group member or settings)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Quite strange, this appears to be working now. 

I had some of the users go to the "Shared With Me" tab, and access the reports in question (the URL is slightly different), after doing so they were able to access the reports in the link shared in the initial e-mail. 

My guess is that they needed to access it via the "Shared With Me" area first, but this seems a little counter-intuitive as they get an e-mail initially with the report link...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors