Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Manage Roles / Users can STILL see the measures, even if I've hid the entire table

Hi team,

Am I doing something wrong?

I've created a Role called 'Everyone Else' in Desktop. For each table, i've put 'false' in the 'Table filter DAX expression.

Then, in the Service version, I've allocated users to this role.

They can see blanks when it comes to COLUMNS, but they can still see the MEASURES.

Which defeats the purpose...

Am I doing something wrong?

Please help, as this is quite urgent.

Thanks,

Alice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Figured it out with a colleague.

The trick is to build the IF measure with a blank as a first condition.

VALUE =

IF (MEASURE=0, "",

IF(MEASURE <10, 100,

etc.

The logic is that, for those roles, the rows will be zero, so the MEASURE will be zero too.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@AliceW What is it you are trying to accomplish? RLS is for data, not hiding objects in the report (Tables, columns, measures)

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer 

I need a report with Sales Targets per Rep. Published in an App (they have Premium licenses).

Goal: some people to see the targets and how much they've accomplished AND the rest of the folks members in the App to see, well, blanks.

I thought it was possible after reading https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-rls

😞

Alice

@AliceW Does it filter appropriately when you test it out under the "View as Roles" in the Desktop?

How are you sharing the report to the end users, are they members of the workspace?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

It tests appropriately when it comes to columns (the visuals in the report containing column data are blanked, and only the column names are in).

However, I have this Card with a Measure and, alas, the Measure is visible.

I published the report in the App. There, there are around 30 users, and I only want 5 of them to see the measures and columns...

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Update: a measure with CALCULATE(DISTINCT COUNT....) is blanked out - hurray (call it CONTRACT COUNT).

The problem is another measure based on this one. This one is an IF one

PAY = IF([CONTRACT COUNT] = 1, 100, 300).

Is there a way to rewrite this, please?

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Figured it out with a colleague.

The trick is to build the IF measure with a blank as a first condition.

VALUE =

IF (MEASURE=0, "",

IF(MEASURE <10, 100,

etc.

The logic is that, for those roles, the rows will be zero, so the MEASURE will be zero too.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors