Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Manage Permissions for Dataset in Workspace

Hi,

I am trying to remove user access to a dataset.

For users with permissions to "read, build" or "read, reshare, build" I have the option to "Remove reshare", "Remove build", "Remove access". However, for any users who have "App (build), reshare" permissions there is only the option to "Remove reshare".

To be honest I'm not really sure why there is any difference and what I can do to be able to remove access for these users. 

Any help is most gratefully received.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MichaelOgaz
Advocate I
Advocate I

To remove the App (build) permission from the dataset you need to republish the app for that workspace and in the republish Permissions tab, uncheck the 'Allow all users to connect to the app's underlying datasets using the Build permission.' box.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mybarbie9917
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue. 

Some users have "App" permission with "Reshare" and "Build" options. 

mybarbie9917_0-1624389719784.png

Other users have "Read" (or "Build") permission with "Remove access" option. 

mybarbie9917_1-1624389846660.png

Why are there the differences among different users in Data Manage Permissions? What should I do to have "Remove access" option? 

annerator
Frequent Visitor

I was able to remove the build permission from the user.

Now when I log in as that user, the Export > Analyze in Excel option at the top is now greyed out which is good.

However, I can still export data from any of the report visuals by right clicking on the "..." for that visual and choosing "Export data". 

Is there any way to restrict the ability to export data from report visuals for specific users?

annerator
Frequent Visitor

Hey, that worked! Thank you. 🙂

annerator
Frequent Visitor

I'm struggling with this as well. I'm an Admin in the workspace.

1. I updated the app for that workspace and in the republish Permissions tab, uncheck the 'Allow all users to connect to the app's underlying datasets using the Build permission.' box.
  2. I then went to the dataset for the report I want to restrict and clicked on the "..." to remove build permissions. 
  3. The only option I see is "Add Reshare". 

limited options.JPG

Any suggestions?

MichaelOgaz
Advocate I
Advocate I

To remove the App (build) permission from the dataset you need to republish the app for that workspace and in the republish Permissions tab, uncheck the 'Allow all users to connect to the app's underlying datasets using the Build permission.' box.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors