Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Manage Alerts Not Displaying for Some Users

Good Afternoon,

We typically utilize apps/reports to provide data to our users. However, we recently built a dashboard since our users need the ability to set up alerts based on a certain metric. This is working for most, but I have had a couple users reach out because, when they hover over the tile and click on the three dots, the "Manage alerts" option is not there. It works fine for me, but these users have provided screenshots for verification. Any thoughts on why this option would not be showing for certain users? I didn't think this was a user-specific setting so I am at a loss in regards to where to begin to troubleshoot this. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I discovered the issue. It had to do with RLS and the user not being assigned to the correct group. Because of this, the dashboard was not displaying any data and the "Manage alerts" option was not available. Once the user was assigned to the correct group, the "Manage alerts" option appeared and the user was able to successfully configure their alerts.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Alerts can only be set on tiles pinned from report visuals, and only on gauges, KPIs, and cards.

• Alerts can be created on dashboards:
  • that you have created and saved in My workspace
  • that have been shared with you in a Premium capacity.
  • in any workspace you can access, if you have a Power BI Pro license.

Only you can see the alerts you set, even if you share your dashboard. Data alerts are fully synchronized across platforms; set and view data alerts in the Power BI mobile apps and in the Power BI service.

In addition, there are some Tips and troubleshooting:

• If you are unable to set an alert for a gauge, KPI, or card, contact your Power BI admin or IT help desk for help. Sometimes alerts are turned off or unavailable for your dashboard or for specific types of dashboard tiles.
  • Alerts only work on data that is refreshed. They do not work on static data. Most of the samples supplied by Microsoft are static.
  • The ability to receive and view shared content requires a Power BI Pro or Premium license. For more information, read Which license do I have?.
  • Alerts can be set on visuals created from streaming datasets that are pinned from a report to a dashboard. Alerts can't be set on streaming tiles created directly on the dashboard using Add tile > Custom streaming data.

For reference:

Tutorial: Set alerts on Power BI dashboards

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply Amy. The alerts are working for most. That's why I'm curious if it is some type of permissions issue, or if possibly there has to be a value in the tile to set up the initial alert. The dashboard is using RLS and is pre-filtered based on the user. If the user in the dashboard does not have anything on this particular tile, are the alerts disabled until there is at least one record associated with it?

Thanks,

Matt

Anonymous
Not applicable

I discovered the issue. It had to do with RLS and the user not being assigned to the correct group. Because of this, the dashboard was not displaying any data and the "Manage alerts" option was not available. Once the user was assigned to the correct group, the "Manage alerts" option appeared and the user was able to successfully configure their alerts.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Are the users accessing the dashboard via an App or via a shared dashboard?

The reason I ask is if one is using a Power BI Pro license and others using a Power BI Free license?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

The dashboard is housed within an app using one of our premium workspaces.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors