Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maintaining version control best practices? How to only update & publish from original file?

I've been running into a few issues when updating existing reports to the Service:

1. Instead of the existing report on the service being updated, a new report is added.  I maintain different file names between the desktop file vs the report on the server.
  2. Reports or dashboards that people once marked as favorites are no longer registered. I assume this is because we deleted the "old report" once we published a new updated version.
  3. Tiles on dashboards get an error stating the report no longer exists. The dataset is still there so they update with new information each day, but clicking on the tile no longer takes you to a report.  I assume this is becasue the "old report" was deleted and we re-published the updated report.

I'm almost certain all of the above is due to my team taking the orignal desktop file, making a copy of it (as to preserve the original), making updates to the copied version, then publishing the copied version.  The copied version gets a slightly different file name such as Test Report 1.2.  (1.2 just stands for report id 1, version 2).  

Power Bi the Service treats the copied version as an entirely new report.  That makes sense to me.

My question is how do you guys do version control and maintain your reports so that the original properly gets updated on the service without having a new report added and having to delete the outdated one?

Of the top of my head, the fix is to always make updates to the orgianl file.  But what if you make some changes that are not what you intended and save over the orginal.  How would you go back to that prior state?

Please let me know how the rest of you are doing it!!

2 REPLIES 2
prihana
Helper V
Helper V

No such option available as of now. My recomendation is to maintain the versions on local PC/ Cloud storage and always upload the same file name.

E.g. MonthlySales.pbix should be uploaded always.

But you can have MonthlySales_1.01.pbix , MonthlySales1.02.pbix on your storage for reference.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So are you saying it really depends on the file name at the time of upload?  

If I made a copy of the original, renamed it back to the same name as the original file, and uploaded the copy with same name... the Power BI service would treat it as the same file as the original?

I probably sound redundant but just want to make sure I'm understanding 100%

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors