Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gmurdoch_85
Frequent Visitor

MY SQL Refresh in Service

Hello I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand on something. I have a MYSQL database which I've connected to in the desktop totally fine but when I publish it I can't refresh. Can I use a personal gateway to do this and if so how do I add it as a datasource? Is the only alternative installing a gateway on a VM and doing it that way?

Cheers! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. The answer is yes. You must install a Gateway in any VM that can access the MYSQL from there. The best use of the Gateway would be installing the standard or enterprise version. Then you will need the driver or provider to connect to mysql in the Gateway VM like the one you might have installed to use Power Bi Desktop. It's very important to restart the VM in order to help it take the changes.

Once all that is complete you can add the source in the Power Bi Service to enable the schedule refresh. You can follow this guide in the process. The post is only missing the mysql drive installation
https://blog.ladataweb.com.ar/post/189013278236/powerbigateway-configurar-una-actualización

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gmurdoch_85 

You can add the datasource in Manage Gateways .Choose the gateway you have created and click add data source .

Enter the Server name and Database name for your data source ,and enter the credentials .

Ailsa-msft_0-1622192012092.png

The premise is that you must create a gateway and then add data source in service . And my suggestion is to install the enterprise gateway .

If you dont know how to configure gateway you can refer to the link :

Install an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Docs

The differences between personal and standard gateways can refer to this link :

Use personal gateways in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

I search in forums and find no documents about data source MySQL, but you can refer to the data source SQL Server .

Manage your data source - SQL - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gmurdoch_85 

You can add the datasource in Manage Gateways .Choose the gateway you have created and click add data source .

Enter the Server name and Database name for your data source ,and enter the credentials .

Ailsa-msft_0-1622192012092.png

The premise is that you must create a gateway and then add data source in service . And my suggestion is to install the enterprise gateway .

If you dont know how to configure gateway you can refer to the link :

Install an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Docs

The differences between personal and standard gateways can refer to this link :

Use personal gateways in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

I search in forums and find no documents about data source MySQL, but you can refer to the data source SQL Server .

Manage your data source - SQL - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. The answer is yes. You must install a Gateway in any VM that can access the MYSQL from there. The best use of the Gateway would be installing the standard or enterprise version. Then you will need the driver or provider to connect to mysql in the Gateway VM like the one you might have installed to use Power Bi Desktop. It's very important to restart the VM in order to help it take the changes.

Once all that is complete you can add the source in the Power Bi Service to enable the schedule refresh. You can follow this guide in the process. The post is only missing the mysql drive installation
https://blog.ladataweb.com.ar/post/189013278236/powerbigateway-configurar-una-actualización

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors