Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MrMarshall
Helper II
Helper II

MS NAV Content pack to On-premis NAV 2015

Hi!

We have a Microsoft dynamics NAV 2015 running on-prem and would like to connect PowerBI to be able to create som reports. 
I know there is a PowerBI contentpack available for the NAV Online sercice, but the guides i found to connect that to a on-prem NAV server seems to be outdated..

I have got the Odata feed from our NAV server, it's working locally (Since I can use the windows authentication). I also have a local gateway, connecting to the Odata feed. But when trying to connect the contentpack in app.powerbi.com to the odata feed, I get "Failed to update data source credentials". 

How do I tell the connectiontion from app.powerbi.com to use my gateway for the odata feed?

Id rather not connect the PowerBI directly to the SQL server, since it got hundreds of tables...

Regards

3 REPLIES 3
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MrMarshall,

First, MS NAV Content pack includes dashboards and reports based on Sales and Financial. it's a way to getting insights into your Microsoft Dynamics NAV data. Which is totally different from you get data from on-prem NAV server. You need to clear them. When you get data from on-prem NAV server, you can select any data you wanted, you need a gateway if you want to refresh data in service since you publish it to service. While MS NAV Content pack is a ready-made and data is retrieved, which don't need gateway. 

Second,  "But when trying to connect the contentpack in app.powerbi.com to the odata feed, I get "Failed to update data source credentials" I don't know how you connect it, please follow the detailed steps in this blog.

>>"How do I tell the connectiontion from app.powerbi.com to use my gateway for the odata feed?"

Finally, you need to install a gateway first, please review and learn how to install a gateway from here. If you install On-premises data gateway, you need to add data source similar with this article. If you install personal gateway, you don't need to add data source, just use it. When DATASETS part in Bi service, right click your dataset->schedule refresh->select gateway and type credentails. More details, please see: Configuring scheduled refresh.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi, thx for the reply. 

I understand the functionality of the contentpack and I would like to use the pre defined reports based on my on-prem data.
I am following this blog to connect the contentpack to our OData feed but I am unable to connect using Windows authentication. 

I have installed the On-Premises data gateway, and added the OData feed as a Data source, see screenshot below.
Any idea what could be wrong?

Screenshot_43.png

Hi @MrMarshall,

When you use the Windows Authentication Method in the Power Bi service, it doesn't work? From your screenshot, your operation is right. I personally suggest you create a support ticket on the right bottom of page for better assistanceSmiley Happy.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors