Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alirezam
Helper V
Helper V

MS Exchange cannot be added to gateway

Hi Pals, 

I have attached 2 snapshots form 'Dataset' setting page. I have a dataset to be refreshed with the Gateway automatically. The files to be received from a database, local folder, and Exchange email address (setup already and works well when refreshed in Desktop). However, the 'Exchange' link which is reading an email and grab the attachment does not work in 'Gateway premises' and I do not know why. It says 'edit the credential' which is the email and password and the type of Gateway. I tried this and the problem is still there. I am wondering if this is because of using a different email address than my Power Bi account to receive the data. Please advise if this is the i1.PNG2.PNGssue and if not, how to fix this.

Regards,

7 REPLIES 7
venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Alirezam 

Please refer the below link for the "Exchange" data source.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/power-bi-data-sources

Please try to edit the credentials from the "Data Source Details" and use the right credntials i.e., desktop and service credentials should be same. Check with privacy level is "Organizational".

If the issue is persists, please save the file with the different name and check for the refresh and it is sucess without having any issues.

Then there was issue with exchange end.

Please check and let us know the status. Any concerns, please revert.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @

@venal 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Thanks but I tried both ways to setup accounts and I still receive the same error (not refreshing automatically) If gateway does not support the email access, this kills the idea of automatic refreshment! doesn't it?!

@Anonymous wrote:

here is a link that might help 

https://www.sumproduct.com/blog/article/power-bi-tips/power-bi-get-data-from-exchange

Thanks but it did not respond to my question. I asked why the Exchange link does not add to my gateway. You sent me the link how to setup!

Hi @Alirezam,

If you are work with the report with mixed data sources, I'd like to suggest you refer to the following link to use the gateway to handle cloudy data sources.

Merge or append on-premises and cloud data sources 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi

Do you mean I have to set up an on-premise gateway on my PC for the 'MS Exchange' separately? Then how to remove it from the list of Gateway connections in the Service? there is no option I can remove it from there unless I remove it from the Desktop.

Just can you please tell me if the email address I setup should be the same username I use as PowerBI account?

Hi @Alirezam,

If you only use the cloud data sources in your report, you not need to set up a gateway to handle refresh. They should be required if your report contains on-premises type Datasource or mixed two type of data sources.

Data refresh in Power BI 

Your data source credentials should as the same as you used on power bi desktop or refresh operation not triggered due to data credentials not matched.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors