Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

webportal
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

MAP showing wrong locations

Hello,

When creating a map to show the population of different Portuguese cities, I was careful enough to write the name of the city followed by " - Portugal" in the database to prevent it from showing the wrong locations.

This map has always worked ok, but now, for some reason I assume related with updating the Bing API, it is showing lots of wrong locations.

For example "Porto - Portugal", the 2nd largest city, is showing on Mexico!

This is how the maps looks like!

Capturar.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @webportal,

In my test, the location was highlighted in correct position on the map.

1.PNG

In your scenario, please check:

• What data category have you selected for that column? If setting category to "uncategorized", whether map shows locations correctly.
  • If conbining country and city name together to navigate to corresponding location, whether issue persists?
  • Search for those locations on the Bing Maps itself (bing.com/maps) to see whether they can be shown correctly.
  • Update your desktop to the latest version for a test.

Besides, please review this article which provide several tips to increase the likelihood of correct geo-coding.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Yuliana,

Thanks, but as you can see here, the map is wrong, even if I add the name of the country, as mentioned in my question.

The report was built in Power BI Service so it doesn't have a data category. The data was uploaded from an Excel table.

As I mentioned, this map worked perfectly until last week, so this must be related with an upgrade of the service.

Hi @webportal,

So, this problem that map visual displayed wrong loactions occurred on service, right? It is a known issue confirmed by product team, we have reported internally, and the team is working on this.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I don't think it's limited to the service. I have the same problem on Power BI Desktop.

Locations were correct in The Netherlands, but now some cities are displayed in Belgium.

@v-yulgu-msft that's cool!

Smiley Wink

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors