Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

intrasight
Helper IV
Helper IV

Looking for info on Power BI storage (quota, costs, etc.)

Hi,

We use the Power BI REST API to push data to Power BI. I was just looking for information about data quotas and costs but didn't find anything. Certainly there are limits. Is there a URL with such info?

3 REPLIES 3
intrasight
Helper IV
Helper IV

I've not really found any info on Power BI dataset (meaning the data stored in the Power BI service as opposed to some data source outside of Power BI) other than the REST API docs.  What is a dataset? Where it is stored? How many may I have and total size? 

When I use a dataset in a report, does Power BI load the entire dataset? Should I partition my datasets by date? period type?  Is there a whole set of docs on this topic that I've just missed?

@intrasight - Those details can be found here:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/

Hover over the "i" icon next to the data size limits for additional information.

A dataset is effectively just your data model, it contains all of the data tables, relationships, calculated columns, measures, etc. that have been defined. Think Power Pivot data model or Power BI Desktop data model. That is your dataset.

Datasets are stored "in the cloud".

I am not aware of any restrictions on # of datasets, there is a limit on total size of datasets.

How you organize your datasets is somewhat a matter of preference.

For more on datasets and other basic Power BI concepts:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-basic-concepts/

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Just what I was looking for. Thanks.

It does seem somewhat limiting that a group's dataset limit is the same as a users dataset limit. Hopefully that's something they will reconsider. Better would be something like

Group Dataset limit = 10GB x (1 + #users/5)

So that it is in between a users limit and the tenant limit

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors