Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mpesara
Helper I
Helper I

Loging in to power bi using generic account

Hi All,

I have created a generic account for which i want to get admin access to this gen account . I gave the gen account Pro access and see the user in the users list in the admin app. But am not able to login.

Does power bi allow generic accounts ? if yes what is the process to add the account onto the power bi.

Thanks in Advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Conarl_on_BI
Helper III
Helper III

@mpesara

So what exactly do you mean my a generic account here. PowerBI allows you to use an account that has a format username@domain.com, so if your generic account has this format then you should be able to use that. 

Note that if this is an organization that use AD then you would need to search of the user with the format indicated earlier.

Thank you,

Conarl_On_BI

@Conarl_on_BI- By generic account i mean  xyz.gen account. which we use from admin activities.

Yes, it has username@domain.com format.

Hi @mpesara,

I'm a lilltle confused about your generic account. What use of this generic account?

Do you want to let multiple users login with the same account in Power BI Service?

If it is, I suggest that is not a good way. You could have a reference of this similar thread.

If your generic account is used as global admin account. You need to assign this permission in Office 365 Admin Portal with global admin account.

If I misunderstood your scenario, please describe it in more details so that we can help further investigate on it?

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-piga-msft

We want to use the generic account to run APIs to automate admin tasks such as creating of workspace or adding users to the workspace. Right now we are using out own credentials but they get saved in the service and are visible to any one who runs the APIs . To avoid this we want to create a generic account and give access as an admin to that account so that we can use this account to run the APIs.

Thanks!

@mpesara,

Then yes that user/account should work fine with PowerBI if you have the user i.e username@domain.com and the password should be able to log into PowerBI services with no issues. 

Thank you,

Conarl_On_BI

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors