Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarcVndrhgn
Helper I
Helper I

Login (SSO) to app.powerbi.com redirects to powerbi.microsoft.com in Edge

Hello,
We are facing a problem for users trying to access apps in Edge; either with a powerbi free license or a powerbi pro license when a user tries to access an app on app.powerbi.com, the user is redirected to powerbi.microsoft.com to sign in.
But if the users try to go to portal.office.com or another MS app, Edge uses the logged in user credentials (SSO) and the users never need to sign in.

We have tried to add app.powerbi.com and powerbi.microsoft.com to the Trusted Sites with no luck. 

This problem doesn't occur under Edge Chromium but at the moment we cannot deploy it to our users.

Does anyone have this problem and know how to solve it ?
Thanks in advance

Marc

4 REPLIES 4
MarcVndrhgn
Helper I
Helper I

Hello,

Thank you for your answers but unfortunately it doesn't solve the problem.
The problem occurs even with people login in for the first time on a machine, they can access the office portal automatically (SSO) but not a Power BI app.

If they sign in one time it works for the rest of their session and if they clear the 'cookies and saved website data' the problem comes back.

The inprivate navigation is not allowed in our company and I don't see how it could solve anything as SSO will certainly not work and force users to sign in.
As we have a lot of people using VDI with non persistent data, they have the problem each time they log in.

I have found a workaround and we are looking to see if it can be implemented; by navigating one time to the tenant first ( https://app.powerbi.com/home?tenant=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx ), the sign in is done automatically on this page and then when going to a Power BI app there is no sign in page anymore.

Seeing this behaviour (going to the tenant page works automatically through SSO, going to an app doesn't work automatically) doesn't that mean that there is a problem on the MS side on app pages for authenticating users ?

Regards

Marc

Hi @MarcVndrhgn ,

were you able to solve the problem?
My colleague has the same problem, I would be interested in the solution.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MarcVndrhgn ,

Please using inPrivate window to sign in again. If it works fine, then please clear cookies and other site data to have a try.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors