Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

esocial
Frequent Visitor

Location of PowerBI cloud data

Hi, 

we're implementing PowerBI reports for a client, who's dataset once uploaded needs to be stored within the region of the EU. Does anyone know how to control which datacenter the data is stored in?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
JasonDunbar
Resolver I
Resolver I

The location of the person whose sign-up triggers a Power BI Tenant creation will determine where that tenant is located. For instance, I am in Switzerland - when we created our Power BI tenant, I'm reasonably certain it would have been created in the nearest data centre at that time - most likely the netherlands (don't think Austria was active at that time).

Any data stored in Power BI itself will be stored in the location of the tenant.

Though if the data needs to stay in the EU, why not upload it to an Azure store somewhere - where you have better control over the physical location of data and connect to it from there...

ok, great.  but so, how can I change the location of the tenant?

Hi Jason

I am in a similar positon, looking at Power BI as a choice, however we have a concern of where data is located.

Do you know of any place where Microsoft confirm this?

Cheers

Dan

@danielskelly You can check this page and download the white paper, it will describe all the security levels, and how your data is stored. Suffice to say, there are a number of ways to keep your data on premises using different methods to connect to your database or model.

In addition, if you are in "option picking" phase, look into SQL 2016 and the new enhancements to SSRS and the integration with Power BI - it is a compelling option, and would keep everything on premises. GA of 2016 was just announced as June 1st, 2016

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for the response and information, I will check these out today.

@Eno1978 wrote:

@danielskelly You can check this page and download the white paper, it will describe all the security levels, and how your data is stored. Suffice to say, there are a number of ways to keep your data on premises using different methods to connect to your database or model.

In addition, if you are in "option picking" phase, look into SQL 2016 and the new enhancements to SSRS and the integration with Power BI - it is a compelling option, and would keep everything on premises. GA of 2016 was just announced as June 1st, 2016

Tsanka
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

I don't know if it is possible to control it. However in the service you can see where your data is. Go to the service, help (? menu)->About Power BI. The last line in the dialog is "Your data is stored in:..."

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors