Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Load dataset updates

Hi everyone, 

I have downloaded a dataset from online power bI to load in desktop, the datset is connected to few sharepoint links and the connection is very well now. one the users has updated the data set and added few more columns in power query. my question is that how i can bring the new columns to my current dataset?? I can download the datset from online again and can see the new columns but I want to connect them to my dataset. I have refreshed the power query but nothing happened.

can anyone help me ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous 

No. Once the data is modeled and published it to service/online(we call it as dataset). When you want to create a new report, you should NOT download the pbix file. You should open power bi desktop, New source ->connect to power bi dataset and choose the dataset. Then you should have access to all the tables and columns in the dataset. 

Whenever a new table or column is added to original dataset and published it to service/online, your report should have the new table or column(or hit the refresh button).

The key here is to use the power bi dataset as source rather than downloading the pbix file and build visuals.

If it helps, mark it as a solution

Kudos are nice too

Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous 

You should power bi dataset as a source to build the reports. Only then  you could see the new added columns.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

so you mean if dataowner edit the dataset, I cannot see the changes or connect them unless I download a new dataset and start from scratch ??? 

that means dataset never should change 

@Anonymous 

No. Once the data is modeled and published it to service/online(we call it as dataset). When you want to create a new report, you should NOT download the pbix file. You should open power bi desktop, New source ->connect to power bi dataset and choose the dataset. Then you should have access to all the tables and columns in the dataset. 

Whenever a new table or column is added to original dataset and published it to service/online, your report should have the new table or column(or hit the refresh button).

The key here is to use the power bi dataset as source rather than downloading the pbix file and build visuals.

If it helps, mark it as a solution

Kudos are nice too

Connect on LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors