Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arneman
Regular Visitor

Live MySQL Dashboard

Hi

I've received a request to be able to show a live updated dashboard on a monitor in our department. The purpose of the dashboard is to show KPI data for our team.

All of the data is currently stored in a MySQL database. I've managed to connect to this through the PowerBI Desktop but a connection through the app.powerbi.com is not possible. It seems to me when connecting through the desktop version, PowerBI does an import and not a connection.

Can you help me out on this connection issue?

Kind regards

Arne

3 REPLIES 3

@arneman MySQL is not a supported data source for Direct Query - reference. In addition, even if you did have direct query running, a dashboard tile won't update in real time. It "should" update about hourly. You could look into custom building a push dataset, but that is usually a bit out of the realm of comfort for most users posting questions.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Dear @Seth_C_Bauer

I mentioned to get it working using a data gateway. So the dataset is configured to be updated automatically. The dashboard however is not refreshing automatically. Is there a setting I'm missing?

@arneman The dashboard refreshes on it's own schedule. usually 30 min to an hour after the dataset automatically. The only way to instantly update a dashboard tile is to use a push dataset or live streaming. 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors