Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bparker
Regular Visitor

List of what reports in the service are using what tables/entities (not the dataflow)

I'm looking for way to programattically get, for every report in the workspace, what tables are being used.

I'm not looking to get the Dataflow only, but the underlying source.

My use case is if an underlying table is being modified, what reports will be affected.

Could Powershell or Python API script be used ?

Thanks for any suggesstions !

2 REPLIES 2
bparker
Regular Visitor

What I'm looking for is what I consider a Governance solution.

I want to see, for every report in my workspace, what tables are being used. 
And I don't just want to see the dataflow because you can have many tables / entities for every dataflow.

I've reviewed most of the API calls but I can only get as far down as the dataset for each report.

Maybe this functionality just isn't available ???

I'm wondering how a department can tell what reports will be affected by underlying source tables being changed.

Regards,

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bparker ,

From my experience, the most basic way I know of doing that is by going through your pages and clicking on each visual to see if the column is being used.What you want to tick an option in the desktop to show the used table/columns which is the feature has not been supported in Power BI itself currently, Here is a submitted idea similar with what you expect, please vote it up and you can add comments in it: know what fields are in use

In addition, I have found two (external) tools ,hopefully they will help you.

1. Power BI Helper

• Help you identify the not-used fields and calculations, clean them up, and have a better data model just with a few clicks.
  • Could know how many visual pages are created, what visuals on each page, what fields have been used in visualization, the bookmarks created, etc.
  • Fetches the metadata of all the service objects
  • Find differences between pbix files

2. Field Finder ,keep in mind this tool only shows you where fields are used in visuals and filters, not in relationships or measures.

For more information, please refer to:https://powerbi.tips/product/field-finder-tool/

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors