Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AM_XRX
Frequent Visitor

List as input criteria for Text.StartsWith

I would like to filter a column based on "Begins With" criteria from another query.

In query "IP_Range_Criteria" I have the following table which are the non-zero octets for some IP Address ranges:

Ranges

In the table I want to filter I have the following column that I want to filter to values that begin with any value in the above Ranges list:

IP Address

If I try to use the below, I receive the error "Expression.Error: We cannot convert a value of type List to type Text."

= Table.SelectRows(previous step, each Text.StartsWith([IP Address], IP_Range_Criteria[Ranges]))

Is there a way to make this work or an alternate method to accomplish the goal?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @AM_XRX,

I combine the two tables into one, and it's easy to comparable, please review the following steps.

1.  Add a customer coumn using the formula.

= Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Table.AddColumn(Table1,"Allranges",each Table1))

2. Expand the Ranges column, you will get the following table.

2.PNG

3. I filter the table using Text.StartsWith function. Then delete the Ranges column, just leave the expected Ip Address column, you will get the expected result.

3.png

Here is my Power Query statement.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("NcrBCcAgEAXRXjzLwH7/LrEWsf82EpQc3zBrtQgk0tht9+OJeHQlwiYS1x+UgyzG9+8X", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"IP Address" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"IP Address", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Table.AddColumn(Table1,"Allranges",each Table1)),
    #"Expanded Custom1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"Ranges"}, {"Custom.Ranges"}),
    #"A"=Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded Custom1", each Text.StartsWith([IP Address], [Custom.Ranges])),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(A,{"Custom.Ranges"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @AM_XRX,

I combine the two tables into one, and it's easy to comparable, please review the following steps.

1.  Add a customer coumn using the formula.

= Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Table.AddColumn(Table1,"Allranges",each Table1))

2. Expand the Ranges column, you will get the following table.

2.PNG

3. I filter the table using Text.StartsWith function. Then delete the Ranges column, just leave the expected Ip Address column, you will get the expected result.

3.png

Here is my Power Query statement.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("NcrBCcAgEAXRXjzLwH7/LrEWsf82EpQc3zBrtQgk0tht9+OJeHQlwiYS1x+UgyzG9+8X", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"IP Address" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"IP Address", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Table.AddColumn(Table1,"Allranges",each Table1)),
    #"Expanded Custom1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"Ranges"}, {"Custom.Ranges"}),
    #"A"=Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded Custom1", each Text.StartsWith([IP Address], [Custom.Ranges])),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(A,{"Custom.Ranges"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Best Regards,
Angelia

Brilliant, thank you Angelia!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors