Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Linked PBI reports in workspaces

Hello!  I have a few reports that are the same across a few apps so they are now linked  so they update at once.   The issue im having now is I made some formatting updates to the report and when I load it to the main workspace I see the chnages, but the other 2 workspaces that its linked/related too dont update the formatting changes.  How do I go about getting the link reports updated?

Thank you

Eric

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Topic is still open can anyone advise if this is possible?  If I have the same report on 2 apps and they share the dataset how do you go about updating the report if you make and visual changes so they reflect on both the reports?

hi  @Anonymous 

To my knowledge, this is available for your requirement in power bi for now. You need to update the reports separately.

you could submit your idea in here to make it coming soon.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @Anonymous - If you have copied reports from one workspace to another then making changes to the parent report will not automatically reflect in the workspaces where the report was originally copied over to. 

You can automate the publishing of reports to multiple workspaces using the Power BI REST API as mentioned in the documentation below: 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/fr-fr/blog/upload-a-local-pbix-file-using-the-import-api/

Another point is that reports that are copied over to multiple workspace still share the same underlying data model so any data model or data changes will reflect in ALL reports BUT report level visual changes will not automatically reflect across all copied workspaces. 

Please mark the above comment as a solution to help others find it more quickly. Also please provide a 👍 if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Sumanth_23 thanks for the answer and link.... So with how it is setup now how would I go about updating the visuals on the other copied reports to the most recent changes in the main report?

hi @Anonymous 

To my knowledge, it couldn't achieve in power bi for now, since you have copied the report to another workspace, these copied reports are separate in different workspace, so any update in one report will not link to others, the only way is that you delete the copied reports and copy the main report to another workspace again.

Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous  as per my understanding you report share the same dataset... you can make use of shared dataset to avoid redundancy  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct that use the same data set, but I redesigned the report and wasnt aware that the copied reports wouldnt take the new changes

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous copy report wouldnt help you here should have used shared the dataset.with this only one refresh will cascade to other reports.If this helped you mark this as solution so that it can help others

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks so looks like no way to update the visual chnages I made without doing the process over again

hi @Anonymous - Sorry for the late response; I would recommend an simpler approach would be to re-copy the reports to other workspaces from the base workspace. 

Please mark the above comment as a solution to help others find it more quickly. Also please provide a 👍 if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks! 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

hi  @Anonymous 

yes, these copied the report are separate any more, your requirement could not achieve in power bi for now.

and could you please tell me if you have other problem? If not, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered?

Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the late response I have been OOO.  Ok so today I removed all the copied reports and started back over by haveing the same report in multiple workspaces... nothing is linked anymore.  What is the proper and best way to share the dataset, but also be able to have any visual changes updated as well acroos these reports?

I would ask - is the intent for users to edit the copied versions of the report? I am trying to understand why reports are being copied into other workspaces and not shared.

If the intent is to have them take a copy and then make visual updates to it- then in no circumstance will any visual updates made in the original report flow into the copies. Power BI will not be able to sync visual chnages done in the main report with changes done in the copied version. 

If the intent is not for them to make updates then instaed of copy, you should only share the report.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I have mulitiple Apps/Workspaces that use the same report, data set and visuals.  I want to be able to update the visuals in the main report, but alos flow over to the other reports on the workspaces that are the exact same.  When I make a change in the main report and publish it would advise it was also publishing in the other apps (that were linked), but the visuals never chnaged.  I unlinked everythingand now im starting fresh.  When I make visual chnages now I have to repulish it to all the apps/workspaces seperate.  

sreenub
Resolver II
Resolver II

Have  you copied the reports  from  one workspace to other workspace ? if it is the case  the  format changes of report in one workspace won't reflect in other workspace 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I think they were copied, that way when we update onbe worspace it would update all the others.  How do I go about updating the formatting on the reports that its linked too?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors