Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

granthworth
Helper II
Helper II

Link to Report Different for each User

Hello everyone,

I have a report shared through a content pack. The only included information in the content is this signle report and its single dataset. I would like to be able to tell users in our organization to bookmark the URL to this report.

However, I have tested this using two Power BI Pro accounts; one for me (creator of the report and content pack) and one also for me as a test account for other users (not the creator of the content). The URL to this same report is different for the two accounts.

What gives?

4 REPLIES 4
granthworth
Helper II
Helper II

Is anyone else having this issue or does it seem like an isolated issue for me?

@granthworth It isn't suprising that the URL's are different. Each shared element lands in someone's personal workspace. (typically). A shared Content Pack needs to be connected to from one's personal workspace, so by default I would imagine every URL is different. Unless I'm not understanding something you are saying, I'd say this is expected behavior.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Understood. So how can I link users to a specific report?

I would like to be able to do this by setting up custom links through dashboard tiles and/or text boxes through the built-in functionalities.

Thank you for your response!

@granthworth I think I get where you are going, but if I'm off, let me know.

Sharing content is different in Power BI from other reporting tools like SSRS and SharePoint where all users come to the same place to view one report. With PBI, content is shared to an individual. As such, I would probably suggest a different path depending on what you are fully trying to do.

But since that isn't the question, and you are looking for a way to accomplish this, the following (untested) scenerio might work for what you are trying to do. (Disclaimer, I wouldn't recommend this personally as it seems a bit over complicated)

Create your Content Pack in a Group workspace (Group1), this allows for more than one person to manage the orginal.

Create another PBI Group (Group2). Share the Content Pack with Group2 (for end users)

Open the Content Pack in Group2 and pull in the report

Create your dashboards in Group1, and set the custom links in the tiles to be pointed at the Group2 report

Share your dashboard with end users. (All of whom need to be part of Group2)

The link in the tile should stay the same, as it is the Group2 that owns it, not a specific individual.

Hypothetically this should work, as the group workspace should be the same for all end users.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors